I have acne scars on my cheeks. Should I go for treatment or not? Will it be beneficial?

will fxl treatment be helpful me for removing acne scars..doctor recommend me 2 sittings.. but i m confused, should i go for this treatment or not.. because m afraid of its after effects.. as i listened from various people that this treatment not have a considerable effect..and kindly also tell me that this is a permanent therapy ?or it will appear after 2 or 3 years again

Acne scars and best treatment

Acne scars can be treated in a variety of ways and often depends on your skin type.  Whichever laser you choose, it should be based on your skin type and the depth of your scars. You will need multiple treatments to repair the scars and minimize their appearance.  The Fraxel laser is great in type I-III skin types.  In darker skin types I always prefer the eMatrix for acne scars.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with extensive experience in your skin type and lasers for the best cosmetic results.

Benefits of Fraxel

Yes, it will be beneficial. There are many treatments that can help improve acne scarring over time. Regarding Fraxel specifically, you will likely need more than one treatment for optimal results.While patients do not always see complete resolution of their acne scarring, the improvement is often considerable over a treatment course. Also, the effects of Fraxel and similar treatments are permanent. Though this does not stop new scars from forming if scarring acne continues to be a problem.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

I recommend a single treatment of acne scars in dark skin with tumescent anesthesia, subcision and Fractional Erbium Laser.

I have now treated over 400 patients with a combination of tumescent anesthesia, subcision and fractional ablative laser (Fraxel Repair for skin types I-IV  and fractional erbium for skin types V & VI).  Our average improvement in the first 114 patients is 72%.  If pitted scars are present, they call also be punch excised in the same single treatment session.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne scars in dark skin person best treated with Microneedling FractionalRadio frequency - Infini

The reason MFR is so good for darker skin people is because the energy is below the area of pigmentation if the needles are insulated, as the Infini is. Also, proper depth of needle placement is needed. The risks of pigmentation changes is much less with MFR than laser and results are at least as good. Fractional RF is important too, and not all needling RF is fractional. Fractional means safer, less pain, and less downtime. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD