I'm male, 27, and I want to reduce my boobs. What are my options?

Who is a Gynecomastia Surgery Candidate

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades.
About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement.
There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal candidate. Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding.
Consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon is highly suggested in order to determine if you are a surgery candidate and what treatments are best for you.

Gynecomastia Evaluation

Hi umairshaikh,

Thanks for the post. My advice is to be evaluated by a plastic surgeon who specializes in gynecomastia surgery. You need to be evaluated to make sure there are no underlying medical causes for the gynecomastia that need to be corrected first. If not, then the surgeon will discuss surgical options. If you have true gynecomastia, then surgery is the only way to correct it.

SIncerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Male breast reduction options.

Hello and thank you for your question.

Gynecomastia reduction surgery can be done with just liposuction or sometimes a combination of liposuction and glandular excision is necessary. I recommend seeking a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to have an examiniation and discuss what option is best for you.

Male Breast Reduction Options

Hello, the first step is to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon for an in person evaluation and to discuss your options. While researching plastic surgeons in your are, do look online at their before and after photos. Best of luck to you.

Jeremy A. Benedetti, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia.Choosing a surgeon.

How should I choose a surgeon?
Selecting a surgeon is as important a choice as the decision to undergo surgery. Choose carefully. The decision is yours. What follows is some advice to assist in making your selection.
1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon who has performed over one thousand gynecomastia cases increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience.
2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures a surgeon displays, the better. Pay attention not just to the number of pictures, but whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient.
3. Reviews matter. Have patients reviewed your surgeon? Did those patients undergo the surgery you are considering?
4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Are they certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?
We hope these guidelines are of assistance when you are selecting your surgeon. When undergoing surgery, it is very important to be realistic about your expectations. Past results are not a guarantee of future results. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.

Mordcai Blau, MD

Your options

Thank you for your question.  You should first see a plastic surgeon who can do an examination to determine if you need to have a male breast reduction surgery.  If he or she thinks you would benefit from the surgery, then it can be performed, given that you are physically able.

Dr. JSB

Thank you for the question. Accurate diagnosis (and treatment recommendations) would necessitate physical examination. It is important to differentiate gynecomastia ( excess breast tissue) from lipomastia ( otherwise known as pseudo-gynecomastia or excess adipose tissue of chest wall). Treatment will differ depending on diagnosis. My best suggestion: seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Gynecomastia

I usually do a combination of excision and liposuction during male reduction surgery.  Make sure to see a board certified PS who can examine you and go over your options.

Anh Lee, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon