Is it normal to have bruises after IPL? (Photo)

I got my ipl session 2 days ago for facial hair removal. It resulted in bruises. I have can't visit my technician. Please help and prescribed some otc medicine. Thanks

PIH after IPL

Thank you for your question aa2. I am sorry to hear about your situation. IPL is a great treatment for facial rejuvenation and can also be used for permanent hair reduction. After an IPL treatment one can get PIH (post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation). This resolves slowly on its own. Products containing ingredients such as hydroquinone, kojic acid, and vitamin C can help them resolve faster, as can further laser treatments. When my patient has PIH, I decrease the settings on the next treatment: use a higher wavelength filter, decrease the fluence, increase the pulse width, and use colder temperatures. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Bruising after IPL

It is not "normal" but it can happen. It has more to do with the settings being high and having blood vessels there which are compromised and leak - to create a bruise. While it isn't ideal - and your treatment was obviously done on high settings - it will resolve in time. Make sure your technician knows this happened because if your levels are turned up again it could result in burning. There is nothing to do really but wait for it to resolve. "This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."