Pains After Breast Reconstruction with Silicone Implant?

i have severe back pain,,its now 2 years after my mastectomy and silicone implant .and also sharp pain on my left chest..pls can someone help me

Doctor Answers 4

Breast reconstruction

The capsule or scar around your implant maybe causing the problem.  There are alternatives for you if this pain worsens.

Three basic forms of breast reconstruction exist. You can use your own tissue, implants or a combination of the previous two techniques. Your own tissue can be used in the form of the DIEP flap, PAP flap, SGAP flap or fat grafting. Implants can be done in one stage or two stage. Two stage reconstructions are started by placing expanders at the time of mastectomy. Once they expanders are placed they are able to be inflated as determined by wound healing. The final time consists of combining any of the above techniques.

If you are interested in being see in Austin please give us a call. I know this is a difficult time for you. The majority of my practice is devoted to reconstruction for women with breast cancer or who are BRCA+

Pain After Surgery Requires Evaluation

Thank you for your question.


Pain two years after breast reconstruction where implants were used is most commonly capsular contracture which is scar tissue that can form around the implants.  More unusual sources of pain could also include nerve damage which may be permanent.  Even more unlikely diagnoses could include recurrent cancer (again, very unlikely).  In any case any of these possible issues should be evaluated by your treating surgeon to see if improvements can be made.


I hope this helps.

Steven H. Williams, MD
San Francisco Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 50 reviews

Pain after mastectomy

If yoga re having paining in your reconstructed breast, it is certainly a good idea to have it evaluated.  Good luck.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Severe pain 2 years after mastectomy and reconstruction

It is impossible to tell what may be causing your pain.  But you need to seek medical attention to get this pain worked up.  Please see your internist/PCP for an evaluation. In addition, given your history of breast cancer, please start with a visit with your breast oncologist.   


C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS
Houston Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 212 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.