Painful lump under my lip. Extreme swelling after my Juvederm injection? (photo)

I had my lips injected with juvederm yesterday 11/18/13 and today I have extreme swelling on bottom lip and there is also a big lump that is painful that I can see on the inside of my lip. I've had several juvederm treatments in the past and never had this much swelling before. As the Doctor injected my bottom lip I felt the needle go deeper than what I was used to feeling in the middle part of my lip. I took advil on the day of my appt, which I knew would cause me to bruise/swell more. Help!

Juvederm lip swelling

Thank you for your question. It is very common for the lips to look over corrected or fake the next day or feel a lump. I often tell my patients that this is the "oh my gosh" day. This is due to all the swelling that ensues. It may last a few days with every day showing a decrease in swelling. The more you ice the first day or two, the less swelling you will have. I would wait a few days to a week and then return to your injector if you still have concerns after that.

Juvederm Swelling

Lips are very sensitive/prone to swelling after fillers and it can take approx 1-2 weeks for swelling to completely go away. However, seeing your provider for further evaluation is always recommended.

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS

Juvederm Swelling

There is no question that the lips in the photo provided are very swollen. I recommend that you return to your injecting Doctor for evaluation. Depending on the circumstances, a steroid dose pack and ice can be helpful.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon