Paid for Procedure Cash, Changed my Mind, Can I Get a Refund?

My surgery for breast implants is paid for cash in full, but now I am scared to death and reeeaalllyyyy dont want to do this. What are my chances of getting refunded for the procedure, not yet performed? I consulted on monday, had my pre-op on friday and am scheduled for tuesday, paid 5100.00. I keep crying, I didnt sleep and im sick to my stomach, I reeeeaaalllyyy made a huge mistake. Can I fix this?

Refund Policies From Plastic Surgery Are Practice-Based

Your intense feelings of anxiety before cosmetic surgery are not rare and you are not the first patient who has  decided right before surgery that this procedure is not for you at this time. Most plastic surgery practices have refund policies based on how soon before the surgery you want to cancel. At this 'late date', it is likely that there would be some slight fee for blocking out the reserved time but it certainly wouldn't be the majority of your money. Call the practice immediately and they will appraise of their refund policy which is also in the ream of paperwork that you would have received in signing up for the breast augmentation procedure.

Breast AugmentationRefund

Review the paperwork that you received from the office. Every practice has their own policy on cancellations. It may help your anxiety if you contact the office and schedule an additional consultation with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your concerns and fears. Best wishes!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Refunds

Surely you'll see some, but unlikely all of your money back.  Sorry to hear that you got spooked but it happens.

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Terrified to go thru with recently scheduled breast augmentation

The answer to your question about a refund and the amount would depend on the office policy of the plastic surgeon with whom you scheduled. Some may retain a small amount as a booking fee or for other costs. Given that you were just seen and are terrified, it may be possible that you can get back the entire amount.

You need to call your plastic surgeon ASAP and explain the situation and maybe it will be resolved to your complete satisfaction.

Good luck.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Breast Implants

Your pre-operative anxiety is perfectly normal.  You may want to discuss this with your surgeon before you make any final decisions.

Many patients develop some level of worries prior to surgery.  I often discuss the individual worries with the patient when this occurs- it seems that this often is all it takes. 

I hope this helped,

Sergio Pasquale Maggi, M.D.

Austin Plastic Surgery Center 

Refunding Money if Cosmetic Surgery is Cancelled

Every office has their own policy and you should have read it before signing..  Typically, a non-refundable amount is required to schedule the surgery.  Some offices also do not refund the whole amount if surgery is canceled too close to the surgery date, as it causes disruption in the office and surgery center schedule.

I recommend discussing your fears with the office.  They may or may not refund the whole amount.  Even if they don't , it is better to walk away with some loss than to go through the surgery if you are regretting it. Breast augmentation surgery is ELECTIVE surgery, and you should not be forced into doing it.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Refunds for cancelled surgeries.

Refunds for canceled elective procedures differ for each plastic surgeon. When surgery is scheduled, the financial agreement is discussed including the terms of refund. The time that is set aside for surgery blocks off  the operating room, the anesthesiologists time, and our surgical time.  If that surgery is canceled at the last minute, it can be impossible to fill that time slot and affects not only the surgeon, but the anesthesiologist and the facility. The sooner you contact your surgeon, the more likely they will be able to fill up that time slot and refund you a portion or all of your money.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Refund Policy

Every office has their own policy.  Most will have this written on a form that you signed at some point during your consultation or preop visit. 

Marc Schneider, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Discuss your concerns with your doctor

The policies regarding the refund is different for each practice. Your surgeon may keep part of the fee for the time that is taken to do the pre op and also blocking the OR  and surgeons time.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Cancelling surgery

Every doctor's office is different. You should contact your doctor and see what the policy is. You may also want to go back in and talk with the doctor about the surgery itself. It is normal to be nervous.