Is this loose skin or fat? (Photo)

I previously had liposuction in the abdominal area, but he only did the lower portion of my stomach, and it actually looks worse than it did before I had liposuction. I am 24 have one child who is now 5 years old. Will diet and exercise alone fix this or could I benefit from another round of liposuction? I really want to try to refrain from a tummy tuck if at all possible.

Loose Skin?

Thank you for your question and photos.  It is hard to tell by your photos if it is fat excess only or fat excess and skin laxity.  By your description of the abdomen looking worse after liposuction makes me believe the main problem is loose skin.  If you do liposuction only again it will make the skin even looser.  Make a consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your abdomen concerns to see what procedure would be best for you. 

Loose skin?

I think that you need to be seen in person to determine whether or not the skin is loose. Best to be evaluated in person.

Loose skin or fat?

From your photos I see you have stretch marks below your belly button. This skin will not shrink down. You will have loose skin after more liposuction and even weight loss. You most likely need a tummy tuck to tighten the skin envelope. 

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Is this loose skin or fat?

It appears to be fatty tissue and you will need additional liposuction in addition to a good nutritional plan and exercise.  If you have additional  liposuction and your skin becomes lax then you will probably need an abdominoplasty to tighten up your skin.  PLeas see a board certified plastic surgeon for evaluation and to discuss your options.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and photos.  Both proper diet and exercise AND liposuction will cut down on the fat that you have.  Both methods could possibly leave you will loose skin on your belly which would need to be corrected by undergoing a tummy tuck.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Improving tummy after a baby

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• Your photo suggests that you have stretched skin and muscle from your baby.
  • Diet and exercise will reduce the fat and get you fit.
  • Surgery will tighten the stomach muscle and remove the stretched skin.
  • Additional liposuction is done at the same time to make the waist smaller.
  • Do not have a tummy tuck if you want more children - wait until you have had your family.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Alternative to Liposuction

Heather
since you are young, already tried liposuction and are against Tummytuck, I recommend diet and exercise. Check out the link below to an article I wrote about a 5 step alternative to liposuction. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Abdominal contour issues: skin or fat?

It appears from your photos that you have both excess fatty tissue as well as excess skin.  Weight loss followed by tummy tuck is one option.  If you cannot lose further weight, a combination of liposuction and tummy tuck can be used to improve your contour, and these may need to be staged to give you the safest and best results.  

For more information on liposuction, please visit the link below.

W. Bryant Walker, MD
Jackson Physician

Abdominal Wall Treatment

Based on your pictures, I would not repeat liposuction.  As you said, you think it may be worse than before.  That being said, it is probably a problem of too much skin (and fat as well) as so that will probably not be better if you just do the same thing again.  Abdominoplasty may have been the better procedure for you all along although I am not sure.  Also, it looks like you have an umbilical hernia that may require repair.

Tummy tuck or lipo

In my opinion from looking at your photos, certainly liposuction for the thinning out of the abdominal skin. If you would also like a tighter abdominal contour and not have laxity of the skin is certainly a mini-abdominoplasty with skin lifting and pulling just to the bellybutton would help. I recommend you get down to your goal weight then seek the counsel of a board-certified plastic surgeon in your region. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS