Question about lipo / non invasive. Some surgeons told me I could get lipo or cool sculpting procedure done on my lower flanks?

When I went for an consultation to ask about my options? Some surgeons told me I could get lipo or cool sculpting procedure done on my lower flanks? He also told me when the fat cells are frozen and removed from my lower flanks then the fat underneath my stomach what they call visceral fat would get proportioned throughout my entire body than just staying at one spot? Is this true?

Thank you for your question. Your visceral fat would not redistribute after liposuction or CoolSculpting. Both these procedures only target subcutaneous fat in particular treatment areas. Regards, 

Coolsculpting for the lower flanks

Both liposuction and Coolsculpting are good options for your flanks.  By having Coolsculpting or liposuction your untreated fat cells will not redistribute. Visceral fat is only reduced through diet and exercise.  Having any procedure to reduce fat cells (Coolsculpting, Lipo, etc) does not render you immune from weight gain or shape change in the treated area or anywhere else on the body.  Treating your flanks is just that, your flanks. Good news and bad news- No other areas are effected. 

Grant Stevens, MD

CoolSculpting and visceral fat

I do not know of any procedure that will "redistribute" visceral fat. Neither liposuction or CoolSculpting will do this. 

Both procedures, however, will remove  superficial fat from your flanks. I hope this helps. 

Question about lipo / non invasive.

No, that is not true. All fat reduction treatments, whether surgical, like lipo, or non-invasive, like Coolsculpting, will only treat superficial fat, that is fat between the skin and the muscle layer - the "pinchable" fat. None of these treatments will effect visceral fat, the fat inside your abdominal cavity, nor will they lead to any redistribution of this fat throughout the body.
As to which is the better choice for you, it entirely depends on how much fat you really want removed, how quickly you want to see results, and what you are willing to go through to achieve this. Lipo will give the better and faster results, but is an invasive procedure, although minimally invasive, so you will deal with post-op issues like bruising, tenderness, drainage, and the need for a compression garment. The non-invasive options are great options because they avoid all these post-op effects, but they will likely not give as good results, nor as fast, and may require multiple treatments to truly attain a significant result. Best to see an experienced cosmetic specialist to discuss your needs and goals.

Craig Schwartz, DO
Leawood Vascular Surgeon

Different types of fat

Thank you for your question.  Coolsculpting, liposuction, or any other cosmetic treatment (including a tummy tuck) treats the fat that is located above your muscles.  It does not treat the visceral fat located beneath your muscles.  I am unaware of any procedure that would cause visceral fat to redistribute throughout your body.  The treatments that you mentioned do permanently remove fat cells, but they do not cause fat to redistribute.  I hope this helps to clarify.  Best of luck! 

Lipo vs. CoolSculpting

CoolSculpting and liposuction are both good options for the flank area and both have pros and cons to help you decide which procedure is best for you.  CoolSculpting is non-invasive and has no downtime so it fits better in a lot of people's schedules.  CoolSculpting, however, may take more than one treatment to get the results you want.  With liposuction, your plastic surgeon can take out as much fat as you are looking for in the area with one procedure.  Liposuction is a surgical procedure, where most people are put under anesthesia and have some downtime.  Talk with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who offers both procedures to decide which is better for you.
I haven't seen any studies saying that the visceral fat would be proportioned throughout your entire body after a CoolSculpting procedure.  This fat can only be eliminated with diet and exercise, as it is lining the inside of your organs and different from subcutaneous fat.  It cannot be treated by liposuction or CoolSculpting.   

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting Versus Coolsculpting

almost everyone is a non invasive candidate but that only gives you a small reduction and requires more than one treatment or overlapping treatments to get best outcomes (or at least noticeable ones).  HI DEF Lipo does a full body contouring and fat can be used to lift buttock, build muscle or shape the body in a permanent way.  I suggest you see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Coolsculpting for lower flanks

Coolsculpting is a great procedure, especially for the flanks and abdomen.  The fat does not get distributed elsewhere. Only with liposuction does the skin get loose after the procedure.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Lipo or CoolSculpting

Liposuction and CoolSculpting can both be used to reduce fat and contour the body. Which treatment would be most appropriate for you should be determined during an in-person consultation and evaluation. I have not seen any evidence to support what you were told about visceral fat. Visceral fat is not treatable with CoolSculpting or Liposuction.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon