I want to be able to get a coolsculpting, sculptsure, or ultrashape procedure.

I had four different consultations already to have a procedure done to remove the fat in my stomach and flanks? Two consultations told me, that I have visceral fat, and with visceral fat the only method is regular diet and exercise? The other two consultations told me that they can do the procedure, but they told me if i wait a few more weeks all the med spas will lower there prices, Two consultations told me they can have the procedure done, but the other two consultations told me about visceral fat?

Visceral Fat

None of the procedures you mentioned will be effective on visceral fat. The only way to remove visceral fat is through diet and exercise. The procedures you have mentioned all work on subcutaneous fat. If have pinchable skin, you have subcutaneous fat. In my experience Coolsculpting is most effective non-surgical way to reduce this fat

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Be sure you're seeing qualified medical professionals.

I can imagine you're feeling frustrated by the conflicting opinions you've received. Indeed, CoolSculpting likely won't do much to reduce deep visceral fat. However, it's important to be sure you're seeing qualified medical professionals — preferably a physician — or at least visiting a clinic that's supervised by a physician. A qualified physician will be able to help you better understand whether your symptoms are caused by visceral fat or subcutaneous fat. You should also be able to get a concrete answer regarding your eligibility for CoolSculpting. 

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Coolsculpting

Hi,

In office examination is very important to help evaluate what treatment would be best for you.

Coolsculpting is an excellent form of non-invasive  fat reduction for the right patient. Some applicators take 1 or 2 hours but the new advantage applicators take only 35 minutes and have significantly less risk for delayed onset pain (especially in the abdomen). Results are seen at 2 months and typically 1-3 treatments will be necessary on each area to achieve ideal results. The number of treatments depends on the amount of fat there and the patient's goals.  There is not downtime and the results can be impressive in the right patient.  We also use the Zimmer Z-wave for improved patient comfort and added results. The best candidates are those who are in pretty good shape with areas of stubborn fat that won't go away no matter what.

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Visceral Fat

It is unfortunate that you have gotten these conflicting opinions.  You will see with all of these comments that if you do have visceral fat, the CoolSculpting procedure will likely be disappointing,  If your fat is subcutaneous, the CoolSculpting procedure will work well.  My take away from your question is a concern that you are going to "med spas".  I strongly recommend that you make certain you are having a consultation with a Board Certified plastic surgeon who is familiar with both subcutaneous and visceral fat- in our training we have done extensive surgery both inside the abdominal wall where there is visceral fat and outside of the abdominal wall where there is subcutaneous fat.  A Board Certified plastic surgeon will likely give you the best evaluation of your situation and provide you with solid answers about the best way (if any) to lose your fat.

Dr L

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting and fat reduction

In regards to Coolsculpting and fat reduction, Coolsculpting will not help visceral fat reduction, as this is fat that is surrounding the organs. Coolsculpting works by using  a vacuum type devise to pull the pinchable fat away from the body and freeze it to a point that will get rid of the fat cells in the area treated. If you do in fact have visceral fat, I would suggest that you speak with a medical clinician to finds ways to decrease fat overall.

Steven H. Dayan, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting for subcutaneous fat

I can only offer my comments with respect to CoolSculpting.  Please note that one of the company’s promotions focuses on “can you pinch and inch” which is a great way to establish if you have visceral fat or subcutaneous fat, the latter is a good candidate for CoolSculpting.  The physician that offers the procedure should be able to make the distinction for you.  In either case you may still be a good candidate to treat the flanks (aka love handles).  Thanks

Dr. Berdy

Jack Berdy, MD
New York Physician

CoolSculpting, sculptsure or ultrashape for fat reduction

Hi Kelly,

I understand you are confused since you were given conflicting advice. My advice is to take the advice of a physician. Any physician who offers procedures for localized fat reduction should be able to tell you without a doubt whether you are a candidate or not. If you have visceral abdominal fat, meaning the fat is around the organs, you are not a candidate. Ideal candidates for the treatments you have mentioned in your question above have subcutaneous fat which is typically pinchable and lies below the skin's surface. Good luck! Manish Khanna, MD

Manish Khanna, MD, FRCP(C)
Montreal Dermatologic Surgeon

Non-surgical Fat Reduction of Visceral Fat

If you have visceral fat then none of the procedures you mentioned will be effective. CoolSculpting, Ultrashape and Sculpsure all work on subcutaneous fat only. You are correct that the only way to reduce visceral fat is through diet and exercise. Remember, these devices are just tools and can produce different results in different hands. Any unethical practice can slap a machine on you and take your money. You may not get results though. Unfortunately, there are a lot of unethical practices out there and these are the ones that have the lowest prices. That's why you should never price shop. I would make sure you see a reputable practice where a physician will do an evaluation for you to determine whether you are a suitable candidate. Best wishes.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Possible treatment with CoolSculpting, SculpSure or Ultrashape

CoolSculpting, SculpSure and Ultrashape can help reduce fat that is superficial.  This superficial fat is located just below the skin.  In the abdomen, there is also fat that is deeper and located under the muscles in the abdominal cavity.  This is known as visceral fat and this fat cannot be treated with liposuction, CoolSculpting, SculpSure or Ultrashape.  An examination can determine whether there is significant visceral fat in the abdomen or not.  If the fat in the abdomen is mainly visceral, then you would not be a good candidate for any of the above mentioned procedures.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat treatments

Diet and exercise is always recommended, but to non-invasively remove fat, you need to have subcutaneous fat (fat just below the skin). If you can pinch your skin and there is fat between your fingers, you have subcutaneous fat. Our experience is that Coolsculpting is the most efficacious non-surgical way to reduce this fat.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.

Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon