Could Botox not affect my muscles?

After having 30 units between my eyebrows and close areas and 20 u around my eyes. I still have regular movement. Could Botox doesn't affect my muscles? What is the reason? Do I need more units? Thank you

Botox affect on muscles

Thanks for your question.  Best to consult with your injector as to which product was used.  Dosage varies between Botox, Xeomen and Dysport.  Also, please remember that one should allow a full week after treatment before analyzing a result.  Good luck.

Ineffective Botox

If you've given it at least 2 weeks to fully kick in, then a number of reasons may explain the ineffective treatment:1. inadequate dose2. inappropriately diluted product 3. product is past shelf life (reconstituted botox must be used within the first 72 hours per manufacturer recommendationsThere are other rare possibilities, which I have never seen before but have been described in the literature.

Questions about Botox result

Sorry to hear about your experience. It usually takes 7-14 days to see the full Botox results. In most cases that I see of Botox not working, it is usually the result of under-dosing. True resistance to Botox is extremely rare and is usually seen in patients that have developed antibodies to the Botox after years of high dose injections. I recommend you followup with your injector to discuss your results.

Several possibilities

Hello, thanks for your question. Sometimes, people have very powerful muscles in that region. Also, depending on age, some have more pronounced wrinkles or grooves because of years of muscle movement. It could be a combination of these things.However, I have had a few patients that seem fairly resistant to Botox's effect. For two of those, I found that the alternative to Botox (Xeomin), worked well for them. Xeomin is similar to Botox, but is made by Merz, a different medical company. Most plastic surgeons will be able to try Xeomin if you are interested in seeing if it will have an effect. I would recommend trying a different product before buying more Botox units, if it truly had no effect.Best of luck!

Maybe more units or change products

Lolaross1, all great questions. Do you know what product you received initially? If it was Botox, then you would of received a sufficient treatment dose. If you were injected with only 30u of Dysport between your eyes, then that would not have been a sufficient dose. Dosing with Botox and Xeomin are similar while Dysport is totally different. Either way, go back to see whoever injected you to let them know. Best of luck. ~Dr. Sieber

Needs evaluation

Reviewing your before and after photos will be useful. There also can be lateral recruiters in the frown that are still working and need some small, additional doses.Check with your doctor.Best wishes,Dr. Denkler

Botox and Results -- Glabella and Crows Feet

Some people need more units. I suggest that and then if still not working, consider switching to dysport or xeomin.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Botox results

Thank you for your question ninaK. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression such as the vertical lines seen between the brows when one frowns. Most people see the results of their Botox treatment 3-7 days after the treatment. The pivotal studies demonstrated that the peak effect of Botox is seen 14 days after the treatment. Patience is important. In our office we have patients return at that time to take after photographs and assess their results. Also, those with strong or bulky muscles may require higher doses and more can be added. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!  

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Why Didn't My Botox Work?

It must be very frustrating to pay for something that apparently doesn't work.  Let's see if we can figure this out.
Certain questions need to be asked.  Is this the first time that you have had Botox or have you had it tens of times?  If it's worked in the past and doesn't work now, you may have developed an antibody to the proteins that surround the botulism molecule.  Botox takes 3-5 days to begin working and reaches it's peak effect at about 10 days to 2 weeks.  Therefore, if it's been less than 5 days since injection, it may still work.  On the other hand, if it's been more than 2 weeks, then I suggest you return to your injector and consider a second injection or a different product such as Dysport or Xeomin.  
Don't give up on your injector.  There are probably 20 reasons for the apparent unsuccessful use of Botox.  Give yourself and your injector a second chance. 

Could Botox not affect my muscles?

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry that your current results have not been what you anticipated.  The dosing you received is appropriate for the selected areas and I wonder how long has it been since treatment?  Botox takes between 2-5 days to start to show effect and 10-14 days to reach maximum benefit.  If it has been two weeks since treatment it would be wise to revisit your board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns.  Although rare, some patients do have a resistance to Botox and should try a second wrinkle relaxer such as Xeomin to see if a different medication works better.  Hope this helps.