I'm a 20 year old male and I'm not sure whether im developing male pattern baldness or just hairline maturation. (photos)

Both my parents have full heads of hair, the only balding person in my family is my paternal grandfather. I'm a college student with a generally inconsistent diet so I'm not sure if it's a nutrition issue. I plan on meeting with my dermatologist in a few weeks but I wanted to be absolutely certain I was developing MPB and not just a maturation of my hairline which I believe is normal between the ages of 17-27. What sort of treatment options do I have without significant negative side-effects?

Doctor Answers 3

Microscopic eval and family history

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The photos you supplied do not show an obvious loss of hair however if you are noticing hairline changes occurring I would suggest you see a hair restoration specialist.  A quick microscopic evaluation can look at the miniaturization of the hair in the front, sides, crown and back of the scalp. Given your young age it is a good idea to look into this as it will tell you where you stand now. Obtaining a thorough family history of asking what other male family members looked like hairwise at your current age is also important in predicting your future.  Finasteride would be your best choice to help you maintain the hair you have.

Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Hair loss -- PRP, Progesterone, Viviscal, Rogaine, Finesteride, Spironolactone

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I suggest seeing an expert to evaluate your hair loss and consider the best treatment options. Non invasive options include PRP/progesterone or transplantation for improvement. Best, Dr. Emer

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 204 reviews

Am I balding asks the 20 year old California man

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Your biggest enemy is the progressive thinning leading to a balding pattern that is not evident at this point in time. The degree of thinning that you are experiencing would suggest that you should see a doctor who most likely will get Bulk Measurements of your hair to determine the degree of the thinning that you are presently having. If the diagnosis is early genetic hair loss (the most common cause of hair loss in young men), then the best treatment would be the drug finasteride which is highly effective in men of your age and may not only stop the hair loss but possibly reverse it. If you are developing a more advanced balding pattern the best test to get will determine the Bulk Measurements of your hair and this will show, over a one-year time frame, how effective the treatment will be. Once you know this information, then you and your doctor need to develop a MASTER PLAN which will define what you need to do over the years to come.
As you are local, you can have these measurements at our office free of charge

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.