I'm only 33 and these age spots are trying to take over my face. Any advice, especially on sunblock brand?

I ran outside in my 20s w/0 sunglasses/hat and used a tanning bed for 3 winters, BUT I've always been decent about SPF! Josie Maran SPF47 (I prefer "natural" products w/o animal testing), Kiss my face SPF50, reviva 10% glycolic acid cream, DDF Glycolic toning complex, reviva brown spot cream, Murad rapid age spot lightener, red light therapy at a tanning salon 12 minutes daily (this is first month, I'll drop to 2x/wk next month). I also have baby quasar. Military salary kills my budget. advice?

Sun spots

Thank you for your question. Age spots can be difficult to treat, however you have several options. A photo facial can help illiminate any brown spots. It will also help even out skin tone. Chemical peels and microdermabrasion can also help! Good luck!

Sun spots

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The BEST sunscreen is...

The one you like. This is because you are going to use it frequently. In the US and in Australia, SPF factors are strictly controlled and tested, anything 30 or above will be fine. There is very little real world protection between expensive and cheap brands, however finding one that YOU like using is important. La Roche Posay makes a great sunscreen, so  does Obaji, and Neutrogena. As for reversing sunspots and age spots, lasers such as Fraxel 1927, BBL or TCA chemical peels are best, as they provide a predictable percentage of removal of sun spots. More in the web reference below under Pigmentation Solutions. Dr Davin Lim. Brisbane. Australia. 

The BEST sunscreen is...

Dark spots

sun spots when they are they will not go back just with sun blocks that much. I do like Ultimate from Image line a lot and it is important to use regularly to protect against further damage. If you steel run use physical barrier to UV light as well. However to remove the ones you have you need to do more than sun block that needs photos and going through diagnosis however if it is really sun spot then Hydroquinone products should help beyond that there are peel and laser/IPL options that are more pricey. 

Parham Gharagozlou, MD, FACP
Walnut Creek Physician

Dark spots

Parham Gharagozlou, MD, FACP
Walnut Creek Physician

Age sots and sunblock

SPF 30 or higher is the best. If you have not recently done so, you might want to speak with your pcp and have them do a blood work up to insure nothing is going on internally. If everything is fine then seek consultation with a certified provider that specializes in this area. There are many things that can be done to assist you with your concerns. But its easier to speak face to face so that all your concerns can be addressed and both yourself and the provider can come up with the best plan that is available for your specific needs.  

Age sots and sunblock

Sunscreen for prevention, Laser for removal

Age spots can be treated with bleaching cream, laser, or chemical peels. Depending on your personal case board certified physician will give you more specific opinion after evaluation of your case. It is important to continue to use sunblock with SPF 30 or higher. Try to accommodate your skin i.e. if it is oily, go for an oil free option, or if you wear make up over it, choose lighter options of BB or CC creams with high SPF factor as well, since you should reapply factor every few hours, if your skin is dry use ones that offer your moisture. Make sure that sunscreen that you are using contains at least one of the following zinc oxide, ecamsule, titanium dioxide, avobenzone, oxybenzone, or sulisobenzone. Good luck!

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Age spots

The best way to avoid age spots is to wear sunblock with SPF 30 or higher and reapply frequently throughout the day. I prefer sunblocks with physical blockers such as titanium or zinc oxide which directly block the UV rays from touching your skin. Once you have an age spot, it can be treated with skin bleaching creams, chemical peels, or lasers/intense pulsed light therapy. It is important to have an in-office examination to determine your exact skin type. Certain skin types do better with certain types of treatment. Choosing the wrong treatment can damage your skin or make your skin spots appear darker than before. Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Age spots

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Age spot solutions with lasers, microneedling/prp, sun protection

Lasers, microneedling/PRP and skin care can be used to lighten age spots, in addition to sun protection. I recommend getting a formal consultation with a cosmetic dermatologist. Best, Dr. Emer