PDT treatment with Levulan for acne is it necessary to use Halobetasol cream after treatment?

I just had a PDT treatment with Levulan done today for treating acne.Levulan was on for 90 minutes and PDT light for 15 minutes. Doctor recommended for me to use Halobetasol 0.05 cream once a day for up to a week. I have read all the side effects and not sure if I want to use it. Is this cream really nesesary? I am fairly light, can my skin darken by not using this cream?

Steroids after PDT

If we anticipate an inflammatory flare up in severe cases, some of us prescribe steroids after PDT, some prescribe oral prednisone for a day or two, others creams- personally my advice is to follow your Specialist advice. It is your best interest, all the best, Dr Davin S. Lim. Brisbane. Australia. 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Halobetasol and pdt

Thank you for your question.  I do not use steroids after PDT though I have heard it being used.  I would also be careful with steroids in your case since you were doing the PDT for acne.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

PDT For Acne and Steroid Creams

Some doctors use steroids after PDT to calm down the swelling, I typically don't. Its all individual preference.  Best, Dr. Emer.