I would love to have fuller lips! What are the options? (Photos)

My lips have always been on the thin side and with age they look worse. I would love them to look naturally fuller but I am afraid I will end up with overblown lips! I am thinking along the lines of Juvederm (which may also rid me of lip lines), lip implants, a bullnose lip lift. Which would be best without the dreaded trout pout? I attach two photos - one showing my lips when completely relaxed, and the other with lipstick on making a pout how I wish my lips could stay!

I would love to have fuller lips! What are the options?

Thanks for your question and photos – they help.  We always recommend that you have a consultation with a board certified dermatologist of plastic surgeon to learn the best treatment options from the true experts.  With the proper HA filler – Juvederm Ultra (or Plus), Restylane Silk, or Belotero, one can have your lips treated and create a natural, not overdone look.  You need the right provider and you can have the look you want to achieve.

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation with Fillers or Lip Implant or Fat -- Go Slow, Use Cannulas

Fat, fillers and implants all work well for the aging lip.  Lasers, microneedling/PRP and peels help the wrinkles.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Subtle lip fullness

My favorite product to use to restore slight fullnes, add hydration and soften fine lines is Juvederm Volbella.  In the right hands you can achieve a beautiful natural result.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Lip Fillers

Good Afternoon and thank you for your question. For lip enhancement my preferred choice of product is Juvederm Ultra Plus® Belotero®.  The ideal candidate for Juvederm Ultra Plus® would be someone who is looking to receive a full lip augmentation, increasing volume and shape to the lip.  It’s an excellent product that has been FDA approved to last up to one year.  For those patients seeking a very subtle, minimal change and wanting to smooth fine lines on the lip, with minimal volume, Belotero® would be my product of choice.  Belotero® typically lasts about 6 months in the lip area.  It is important that you explain to your physician your desired results so that they may choose the product that would work best for you. Best of luck to you.

Leonel Calderon, MD
Miami Physician

I would love to have fuller lips! What are the options

I think fillers like Juvederm or Restylane are the best option. While they are doing the injection, ask to look at your lips to see how it is going. You are in control of how much is injected. The trout pout is due to too much filler, so if in doubt, be conservative. You cna always go back for more.

Julio Garcia, MD

Juvederm for the lips

Thank you for your question katwin41. Juvederm is a filler used to enhance the appearance of the face. Juvederm can be used to enhance the size and shape of the lips. A small amount of Botox can be used around the lips to complement this treatment and provide a subtle pout. For my patients I recommend starting with one syringe of Juvederm; this is a conservative amount. More can always be added later. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations.  Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Lip Filler

Dear Katwin41,Thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for lip filler, like juvederm! The filler would go into the pulp of your lip making your lips fuller in a natural way. You do not need to have a trout pout- that happens with too much filler and filler placed in an incorrect position. Good luck! Best,Dr. Morgan

Morgan Rabach, MD

Lip Rejuvenation and Enhancement

Based on your photos, you seem to be wonderful candidate for dermal fillers for your lip rejuvenation & enhancement. For a natural volumizing, I like Juvederm Ultra Plus initially, though in some patients, I advance to using Restylane Lyft or Voluma. For fine lines around the lips, Juvederm helps and for more thorough treatment of lines, I will use Restylane Silk or Belotero. If patient starts with one syringe, the focus is on the main concern (volumizing vs. fine line improvement) and, then, the secondary concern. With two syringes, different fillers can be mixed for both volumizing and fine line improvement. The wonderful thing about hyaluronic acid fillers like the above ones is their safety -They are reversible and their hydrating quality for lips. My advice is to choose an expert injector and go for it!

Anita Saluja, MD
Melbourne Dermatologist

Lip Augmentation

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  Based on your photos, you appear to be an excellent candidate for lip augmentation with a dermal filler such as Juvederm.  Beautiful and natural results can be achieved.  Please be sure to see an expert injector for an in-person consultation to fully discuss your goals and expectations in order to determine the best treatment plan.  Best wishes! 

I would recommend fillers as they should do a great job here, but only with the right person on the other end of the syringe!

While fillers are a great idea here, the person who is injecting them is incredibly important to the final outcome.  People don't realize this and then they end up with, as you say, 'Trout Pout'.  Go to someone who you can see examples of their work.  Generally, I recommend dermatologists over other practitioners and in my clinic I am the only one who does fillers or botox as I want to make sure that everyone who goes out of my facility has the look that I envision.  Other people have different ideas of beauty and that is where this all becomes a little dicey.  Good luck!

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologic Surgeon