Is one injection enough for eye area and mouth area?

Is one injection enough for eye area and mouth area

Thank you for submitting your question.  Difficult to answer without photos.  For most patients, one syringe will not be enough for the tear troughs and perioral regions.  Consult with a Board Certified injector.  Best Wishes.

Start with one and go from there

I typically use 0.25cc of Restylane around the eyes. I think it is a better product for that area. Juvederm works great around the mouth, lips, and nasolabial folds. Half of the product would be used for the eyes. If the wrinkles around the mouth are minimal, you may be able to get away with 1 syringe. You can always ask your injector's opinion and purchase more product as needed.

- Dr. Bryson Richards

Juvederm for the Nasolabial Area

Juvederm is the ideal filler for the area around the nasolabial area.  Juvederm XC is thick and can last up to one year in this area.  I do not recommend Juvederm for the delicate area under the eyes.  Under the eyes I either use Restylane or Belotero depending on the facial structure of the patient. Without a photo it is impossible to suggest how much filler might be necessary.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with these facial fillers for the best cosmetic results.

Is one syringe of filler enough?

Probably not. In most cases .5-1ml are needed for each side under the eyes, and at least the same is needed for the NLF area. I would also not recommend Juvederm under the eye area as it's not a good filler choice for this area. A 1ml syringe of filler is less than a teaspoon of material, which is just not a lot. Spreading it too thin or not putting enough in is just going to create dissatisfaction on your part because it won't look like enough was done.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Injection amount and type

I would have to see the area to determine if a filler is appropriate.  If the under eye area is hollow and leaves a dark circle then Restylane is best.  Less is more under the eyes; however, if the hollowness is very deep and extends to the mid cheek then 2 syringes may be indicated.  If the skin is loose and has fine lines a combination of treatments such as Ulthera and/or microneedling with PRP may be needed first.

As for the lips, Juvederm is soft and is best for this area to augment.  If the lips require a lift and fine line correction then small amounts of botox may be added. 

*None of the above is not intended as medical advice.  If you have a medical concern, please consult your doctor

Mitchell J. Ross, MD
Old Greenwich Dermatologist

Is juvederm enough for eyes and mouth?

Typically, juvederm isn't injected around the eyes because it is thick and can be seen in the thin skin of the eyelids. Instead, most physicians will use restylane or belotero because they are thinner. 1 syringe of juvederm is enough for the lips but please make sure you see a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist who can do your under-eye injections correctly! Good luck!

Is one syringe of juvederm enough ?

Without seeing photos it's difficult to say.  A good injector can tell you if one syringe would be enough.  You can ask if they will discount a second syringe if you need more .  Good luck.

Chad Robbins, MD