I'm getting a breast reduction need some tips.

I am getting a breast reduction on the 17th im nervouse but have a few questions i am a 38dd and they said i was approved for 300 so they said ill drop a cup in a hald so what would that make me i want to be a c if possible and will they lift them as well why doing the procedure

Breast Reduction includes a breast lift

A breast reduction not only makes the breasts smaller but also lifts the breast tissue up on the chest wall and rotates the nipple-areola complex upwards to the proper position and reshapes the breasts to make them prettier. Without knowing how large you are, it is difficult to predict exactly what cup size you might be after surgery after removal of a specific amount of breast tissue. Your plastic surgeon, who has examined you, should be able to answer that question the best. Don't be afraid to ask.For the best results seek the consultation of a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. They have a website listing all the certified plastic surgeons. Members of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery will all be board certified in plastic surgery and have demonstrated an interest and special skill in cosmetic plastic surgery as well.

150g = about 1 cup size

However, DD for you may different in a bra than in actual volume. In my 30+ years of experience I have used many techniques to lift the breast tissue onto the chest and try to make it stay. What I have learned is that gravity always wins. In my practice, someone with your type of breasts would ultimately have the best result if all the tissue hanging below your breast crease is removed. I reposition the nipple and bring the remaining tissue together to form a shapely natural cone. I use a special dissolvable mesh called GalaFlex to provide an "internal bra" that will turn into your own tissue and give added strength to the breast lift. My patients have been very satisfied with their results. 

Dan Mills, MD

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon. Most patients wish to achieve enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso. With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.  Best wishes with your breast reduction procedure; hopefully you will be very pleased with the outcome of the procedure performed.

Breast Reduction Tips

You might want to follow up with your insurance to verify, but the 300 is more than likely a minimum number that has to be removed. Talk with your surgeon and make sure he/she is a board certified plastic surgeon. He/she should be able to make you as small as you would like as long as that minimum is removed. A breast lift is generally part of a reduction, but again, you might want to discuss these things further with your surgeon. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon