17 days post op - slight incision separation. Will it get bigger? Did I cause this by trying to stand straight too soon? (photo)

I am 17 days post op from a MM (TT w/ muscle & hernia repair & BL with implants). I first noticed a scab 5 days ago when my doctor removed the surgical tape. My doctor said to put paper tape over my incisions and remove/replace daily. When I removed the tape, the scab came off and it started bleeding (which I know represents good blood flow). But now it looks like this. Is it infected? Did I cause this by forcing myself to stand up straight (I still feel a lot of tension)? Will it get bigger?

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question. Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Incision Separation

It appears that if your incision is separating and possibly infected, then there could be good reason to see your surgeon in person again to ensure that everything is healing properly. With 17 days being a little over 2 weeks into healing I would think that the best thing would be to see your surgeon with the question and make sure that the stitches and scab are connected properly. Good luck. 

Mommy make-over -- incision opening after 17 days

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck.
  • Please return to your surgeon for your post-operative care.
  • The incision needs to be examined, a suture may need to be removed, tissue may need to be removed and a treated plan made.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

See your surgeon

Please check with your surgeon as your surgeon is the best person to answer that question. Without knowing your medical history it is difficult to help you. Good luck!

17 days post op - slight incision separation. Will it get bigger? Did I cause this by trying to stand straight too soon?

Unfortunately, wound separation can happen after a TT. Best to follow your operating surgeon's recs re: wound care. It looks superficial but can take a couple days to weeks to fully heal so monitor it and follow up with your surgeon regularly. Good luck!

3 weeks post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
At this point (17 day post-po) the swelling is normal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Tummy tuck

You have a very minor wound healing issue.  This is a common problem and should heal realtively quickly.  It is not because you stood up straight to soon.  Good luck. Jane

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photograph.  This portion of the tummy tuck incision has the greatest chance of a wound healing issue, and is often multifactorial in origin.  I am sorry to see that your incision has had a superficial separation but this will likely heal itself very quickly over the span of a couple of weeks.  Though there is no clear sign of infection it would be best to see your plastic surgeon for an in-person examination to discuss the appropriate wound-care instructions to help speed along your recovery. Hope this helps.