14 Days Post Op from Mommy make over and my pubis is itching like crazy!!! Is this normal?

14 Days Post Op from mommy make over (tummy tuck w/ muscle & umbilical hernia repair, breast lift with implants) and my pubis is itching like crazy!!! I'm itching right below my tummy tuck incision (my incision is not itchy). It is driving me CRAZY!!! Is this normal? What can I apply - or take - to relieve this itching.

Itching After Surgery

Now, here is what I tell my patients in regards to the overall healing process and what to expect:Healing after the  #tummytuck will take time. I have my patients out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake.  I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  No lifting or straining.  At three weeks increased level of activity and full, no restrictions, at 6 weeks.
Since it has now been two weeks, and if this itching is uncomfortable and of concern to you, then I would recommend contacting your surgeon with any questions and best options to help with this situation.

Please see your surgeon

Please check with your surgeon as your surgeon is the best person to answer that question. Without knowing your medical history it is difficult to help you.

Good luck!

Mommy Makeover Two Week Recovery

Thank you for your question about recovery from Mommy Makeover.

It is hard to say without photos or seeing you in person.  This could be nerves waking up or something else.

For specific questions about your recovery, it is generally best to speak with your doctor or doctor’s representative – such as his or her nurse, or the physician on call for the practice.

You will likely get many different opinions from members of the RealSelf Community, but they have not physically seen or examined you, and nobody knows you or the circumstances better than your doctor.

If you feel you are not being listened to or you are doubting your doctor’s recommendations, then it is certainly within your rights to seek a second and get the advice from another board certified physician. This should be done through an in-person consultation.

Obviously, if you think that you are having a medical emergency or other serious problem, you should call 911 and/or go to your nearest emergency room.

Best Wishes.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your symptoms. I would first recommend some oral benadryl to help with the immediate itching you are experiencing.  I would then try and identify the cause of the itching - gauze bandages, dry skin, compression garment, creams/ointments, sterilizing solution used during surgery, etc.  Once this is known the offending agent can be removed and your symptoms will improve.  Oftentimes a thick moisturizer such as Aquaphor can help or a topical steroid cream like hydrocortisone.  Talk to and discuss your itching with your plastic surgeon.  

Mommy make-over - severe itching

Thank you for your question about your mommy make-over.
  • You may be allergic to the material in the compression garment, to tape or to residual surgical coap.
  • It can also be from taking narcotic pain killers.
  • At times,it can signal the return of feeling in nerves as swelling subsides.
  • I suggest you contact your surgeon's office for help in sorting out the cause to get you comfortable again.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Parenthesias or itching are fairly common in the incision or the areas undermined from an abdominoplasty.  The skin and incision appear normal but the sensation is not.  Itching of the mons is not a usual complaint and could be a sign of an infection.  If your surgeon doesn't find anything amiss, then Benadryl may help.

Samuel Beran, MD