Do Juvederm Ultra Plus and Juvederm Voluma have a similar duration of action?

I had Juvederm Ultra Plus injected in my nasolabial wrinkles 3 years ago and it still shows no signs of wearing off, whatsoever! I LOVE it!! My question is this: I have used Radiesse to fill out my cheeks, with moderate success. I am wondering if I should try Voluma next time, instead. Would you expect it to have an unusually long duration for me, as well, or is the formulation different enough that we cannot speculate? Thank you for any feedback!

Comparison of longevity between Juvederm Ultra Plus and Voluma

Voluma's expected duration according to the manufacturer is longer than for Juvederm ultra plus. The duration that you will receive is reliant on a number of factors including your anatomy and the expertise of the injector. 

Great Choice!

I can't answer if Voluma will have the same duration for you, however it's a great choice for the cheeks, along with fillers: Radiesse, Perlane, Bellafill implants, or fat. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Juvéderm Voluma duration vs Juvéderm Ultra Plus

It's terrific that you're seeing such great duration with your Juvéderm Ultra Plus. Voluma is a differently formulated hyaluronic acid. It's meant to have a longer duration of up to 2 years. However, the greatest duration is most likely to occur with a full correction. Less-than-full correction may only give a year or so of correction. In my experience, there is a great deal of variability for duration of all of the filler products. I've seen Juvéderm Ultra Plus last several years longer than the average as you're experiencing. Always see a physician who is highly experienced with all the injectable fillers for a personalized approach to your needs and a selection of the best available product for you.

Kimberly Finder, MD
San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon

Duration of Voluma vs Juvederm

Although many will tell you that Voluma will last you 2 years, it is not true. The study that is quoted is not fully understood by most. It includes touch ups, and over 6 syringes on average. There was also minimal effect at that 2 year mark in only a minority of patients. In general, Voluma might last you longer than Juvederm, but not 2 years. Probably 12 months is what I've seen in most cases, particularly with low volumes used. See my Cheek Challenge link.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Thanks for your query. Voluma will be a better option for you as it stays for a longer time. Minimum time for which it is there is 1 year. Hope it helps.

All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Voluma vs Juvederm duration

Hello, and thanks for your question. The short answer is that Voluma lasts longer (1-2 years) than Juvederm (6-12 months). In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with an expert. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Three years is wonderful, but not typical.  Typically we see fillers such as Juvederm Ultra Plus and Radiesse last approximately a year.  Voluma has an expected effect of two years.  Voluma is also specifically designed to add volume to the cheek area, so if that's the area you are targeting this would be a good product choice for you.

Camille Cash, MD

Juvederm vs. Voluma

Wow...three plus years of improvement with one Juvederm Ultra Plus injection is terrific. I have seen this type of result occasionally in patients. There was either good collagen replacement as the Juvederm was resorbed or you have a slow resorption rate. Usually Volume will last longer than the Juvederm Ultra Plus (two years) and it is fantastic in the cheeks. I would definitely use it over Radiesse. I, however, would be hesitant to predict how long it will last for you.