I feel that the doctor gave me the wrong size? 220cc pre-op appt to 315 post surgical?

During the preop appointment, we discussed a tear drop 200cc implant for me. I'm 55 years old, 5'8 and 117 lbs. I just wanted to look natural and fill out some skin post-children. My doctor knew I was very concerned about not going big and wanting to look natural. After surgery, I discovered that he did 315cc implants and I hate the results. It is now 8 weeks post-op and I still hate them. I still hate the way I look in the mirror, they point downwards. It's depressing and embarrassing.

Wait another 4 months to see your final results.

Not loving your breast augmentation results immediately can be disappointing and frustrating. Even at 8 weeks post-op your breasts are still changing, and you may be experiencing some residual swelling. It can take up to 6 months for your breast implants to soften and drop into the breast pocket prepared by your plastic surgeon. You won’t be able to accurately see your results until then. Give your body more time to adjust and heal. If you still dislike how your breasts look at 6 months, you may want to talk with a plastic surgeon about revision surgery.

Implant Size Concern

Thank you for your question. It is important to note that implants typically sit high and can appear misshapen or larger in the top portion post operatively due to swelling.  I recommend that you wait until 6 months post op to evaluate your results and discuss with your Plastic Surgeon.
All the  best

Not what the doctor ordered?

Hi IdbluI am so sorry about your situation.I won't speculate on what happened, but I would discuss it with your doctor.  I am so sorry that you "hate" your appearance, but it can be corrected without not much fuss.  
Give your doctor a chance.
All the best.
Sek

The implants volume

Hello,  thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear that.  The election of the implant volume should be a decision taken on the pre op appointment and shouldn't be changed.   We often go to surgery room with 2 or more pairs of implants with different volumes.   Sizers can be placed during surgery to decide wich one is the right implant for you.   But we should always talk previously that there's  a chance to change the implant volumen.   Wait +6 months to decide if you will want a implant replacement.  Have a great day. 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Breast augmentation - surgeon put in implants that are too big

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.
  • I am so sorry you have had such a difficult experience.
  • Part of it is the surgical placement of implants under the muscle -
  • The muscle forces the implants up - and it can take months for them to settle in place and look normal.
  • But there is also the question of size - for a tall, thin woman a 315 implant can be too large.
  • I strongly suggest you see your plastic surgeon, explain your dissatisfaction and discuss whether re-operation in a  month to remove the implants and place smaller implants over the muscle is possible.
  • This will give you a smaller look and immediate settling of the implants.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

It sounds like from your description that it isn't so much the size that bothers you but more the appearance of the breast. When you say they point downward, do you mean your nipple/breast tissue? It may be that you actually needed a lift and not just an implant. Your description sounds like the implant is sitting high and your breast tissue may be sagging off of it. Shaped implants do not "drop" like round ones, so it is likely that your breasts will not change much in appearance over time. You do want to let things heal before going back in for a revision. If you post photos, we can better give you advice. Sometimes PS will attempt to put larger implants to help fill out the breast pocket when patients have ptotic breasts in an attempt to avoid the lift scars.

I understand your frustration.  I agree with others that you should not decide to have a revision until you've Hedger implants in place for at least 6 months.  Your tissues will adjust and you may feel more comfortable with them after a period of time.  To be sure what you have asked the doctor's office for a copy of the operative record which will delineate the size of breast implants used.

Breast revision

I think it is important, as others have pointed out, that you wait a few more months before considering any revision, as things may change in the interim.  Regardless of whether you remain with your current surgeon, or choose an new one, it is important that he or she communicate well with you about the potential ranges of implants to be used.  Rest assured, you can always downsize your implants, and this should not be too difficult of a procedure at all.  Remaining with your current surgeon may have significant financial advantage if this is indeed needed. 
Best of luck! Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Implants are too big

I'm sorry that you are unhappy with your results. I think you need to discuss your concerns with your surgeon. It is  early in the recovery period and your results will continue to change over the next few months. If you still feel that your implants are to large then it is possible for your surgeon to replace them with smaller implants.  Good luck

Jon E. Rast, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

The right size for you

It is very difficult to determine the best lift you will need (recommended based on your photos) or the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 300 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. The same process goes for just filling in the upper part of your breast without becoming much larger. Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below including silicone vs saline implants