I had a consult with a doctor I really like, but he has no before/after photos of my procedure.

This doctor is well reviewed, his practice is well regarded, and I was quite comfortable with him during the consult. He has a few (not many) before/after photos of different procedures online but none for chin implants which is what I'll be getting. He said he didn't keep any in his office either. He's obviously board certified. I'd like to go ahead with the surgery with him but does the lack of photos indicate a red flag? He's done the procedure about 50 times.

Chin implants

I think it is important to see the doctors chin augmentation pictures to get a sense of his aesthetics.
Als0, 50 such surgeries is not a very  big number.

Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Picking the Right Plastic Surgeon

It’s great that you found a doctor you’re comfortable with. Since he does not have any before and after pictures of chin surgery patients, he may not be very experienced with the procedure. Most surgeons would be happy to get you in contact with a previous patient of theirs. Ultimately, the choice is yours to decide. It may be worthwhile having a second opinion from another specialize facial plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgery is an artistic field and different surgeons may advise slightly different treatment options.

Consult with a doctor I really like, but he has no before/after photos

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation.  Can't comment on why the surgeon doesn't have "any" before and afters of chin augmentation if he's performed it 50 times. 
 A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Hope this helps.

Chin

jj0129, when it comes to your face see an experienced surgoen that does "only faces" and has a lot of good photos on their web site to peruse. Ultimately the decision is up to you but that is what gets you the best chance of having a good outcome. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hello jj0129,
Thanks for your question.
I must say that it seems strange that a surgeon doesn't have many or keep before and after pictures.  This would present a medico-legal problem for him in the event he gets a complaint from a patient.  
I would ask to see more photos to make sure that their eye for aesthetics is one you like.  Even if they have performed 50 chin implant procedures, if the placement of the implant looks strange to you, you might not like your results.
Good luck,
Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant candidate

It is very important for patients to see the results of their surgeon's work to get an idea of what can be accomplished by that particular surgeon for that particular procedure. Chin implants are manufactured in a variety of sizes and shapes which is very important to determine at the time of the examination and consultation. In our practice, we place the Chin implants under local anesthesia as an outpatient procedure which takes approximately 30 minutes. We also show patients the actual  samples of  the implants themselves, perform computer imaging from the side profile, and show many examples of patients who have given us their  permission to use their photographs.  For an extensive portfolio of before and after photographs of chin implants, along with diagrams and measurements of the implants and more information, please see the video and the link below

Chin Implant

Not having before and after pictures of any procedure is not necessarily a red flag for any plastic surgeon. Someone can be extremely competent at doing a procedure and just has limited photographic documentation of it. But most plastic surgeons are pretty particular about documenting a procedure they have done more than just a few times.

Few before/after photos

Choosing a surgeon is a unique and personal experience. The most important factor is your level of comfort in the initial interactions. Your surgery will include a notable recovery period so you and your surgeon will be seeing each other frequently. Make sure you like them! 

The lack of photos could depend on several factors. It is unlikely that all 50 cases were "not worth showing". Ask about it and have an honest conversation about their experience and your potential outcome. I'm sure you will do well. Good luck! 

Justin Cohen, MD
Washington DC Otolaryngologist

Finding the right surgeon

Far more important than deciding if a tummy tuck or a mommy makeover is for you is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let him explain why one technique may be better than another and if you need a tummy tuck. Many board certified plastic surgeons provide a free first time consult and you should take advantage of that!
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for you!