How does an autoimmune disease effect the BA experience? How often do women require several surgeries after the first implants?

Nursing took me from a small 34B to a 32A or AA. I have Hashimotos autoimmune disease. While I would LOVE to be able to fill out a bra I am nervous about how having an autoimmune disease effects things. Ive been told I would need silicone (5'6'', 108). Im not looking to be big, just back to full B. Ive read many women needing multiple surgeries after the initial BA. How often do implants create a life of surgeries every 3-5 years? Is there any way to decrease the chance of capsular contracture?

The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue… Breast augmentation surgery increases or restores breast size using silicone gel implants, saline implants or in some cases, fat transfer. One of the most popular and frequently performed aesthetic surgery procedures, breast augmentation has a long and successful track record in satisfying women who wish to enhance, regain or restore balance to their figures.

Autoimmune disease and silicone

The patients that I have seen that had preexisiting autoimmune disease such as yours and got implants (even saline) had exacerbations of their illness due to the fact that silicone is a know adjuvant.  Many of my patients including myself had autoimmune disease and abnormal labs such as ANA reverse with explantation and silicone detox.  Plastic surgeons know very little about this subject but is is addressed in the medical literature if you care to look it up. The syndrome ever has its own name now.   The components of breast implant disease include silicone toxicity with autoimmune disease, chemical toxicity with immune problems and neurological disease and biotoxicity from mold in saline which looks like fibromyalgia.

Susan Kolb, MD