How Can an Over-Aggressive Tummy Tuck Be Corrected?

Hello, I had a TT appr 1 1/2 wks ago and am vry concerned that the PS removed too much skin. I wasnt that big before the procedure - only needed to have 3-4 inches removed but it appears that my PS removed 6-7 inches. I'm horribly hunched over and its causing a lot of strain in my lower back when standing up/walking. I understand my skin will stretch out some over time but don't know if it'll stretch out 3-4 more inches. If my skin doesn't stretch enough, how can this be corrected?

Tummy tuck

To avoid a vertical scar one has to remove as much as possible, and what you are describing may be normal.  Can you post a photo?  It will take 1-2 weeks and things will improve.

Tummy tuck and skin excision

It is farily common that patients feel tight and walk a bit hunched for a week or so. Usually this gets better with time.

Tummy tuck-too much?

I certainly would not do anything in haste.I think if you give this enough time it will relax and do just fine.I have never seen a tummy tuck in 32 years where too much was removed,so just be patient..

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Aggressive Tummy Tuck

I am sorry you are experiencing some difficulty with your tummy tuck.  It is not unusual to have a tight feel to your abdomen.  Skin is fairly resilient.  If the skin has been stretched too tight  initially then the circulation would be compromised producing early blistering and skin loss (3 days or so after surgery).  It sounds like that has not been a problem.  If the skin has been closed a bit too tight, it may survive and will relax allowing you to stand straight BUT the resulting scar will be WIDENED.  Only time will tell.  Continue to follow your plastic surgeon's recommendations and enjoy your journey to your improved tummy contour.

Dr. ES

My tummy is too tight!

Your concerns are quite common during the earlyu post-operative period. As long as the vascular supply to the lower abdominal skin is not threatened by the wound tension, it is very likely that your skin will relax and expand on it's own. You may need to see a therapist for instruction in exercises to strengthen your lower back.

Too Much Skin Taken Off in a Tummy Tuck?

For the first few days after a tummy tuck, the skin is swollen and feels very tight.  This is just another temporary problem to expect in the postop period.  In almost all people, this problem will settle down with time because the swelling goes down as the tissues heal.  By two weeks, I would have expected that you should be walking upright.  I assume that you have gone in to your surgeon for a checkup to make sure that there are not any problems creating the tight feeling that you are experiencing?  Is all the skin on your tummy near the operated area a nice pink color (indicating good circulation)?.  Without more information, it is difficult to answer your question fully, and it would be best for you to contact your surgeon.  

Claudio DeLorenzi, MD