Is my incision infected?? (

I'm 19 days post op now and I've emailed my ps twice and left messages and he isn't getting back to me. My incision is still bleeding and there is watery puss in the blood. It isn't bleeding profusely but enough that I have to wash my bra every day, and it will bleed through a band aid in an 8 hrs shift at work. I'm so worried it's infected and that the scar will be visible. My plastic surgeons office is a few hours away and being he won't answer I can't book a second post op apt to address my concerns.

Infection

you definitely are doing the right thing by trying to communicate with your surgeon. if you are unsuccessful with email or texting, you need to call the office and ask to talk to your surgeon. you can also ask for their email address, so you can send them a picture of the area you are worried about, take several different angles so the surgeon can get a good view. I operate on many out of state patients in my practice, the photos and a phone call can accomplish a lot for the patient. be persistent. always ask who you are talking with and record that, so you can explain that to your surgeon.

Augmentation issue

I think that you need to be seen in person o be properly evaluated. Emailing is not the best way to be seen or treated. Call the office to be seen in person. Good luck.

Infection vs. open incision

Whatever is happening needs to be addressed immediately.  If they won't answer, find a board certified plastic surgeon closer to you or simply drive to the office and have them see you now.  Do not delay.  This may represent an infection, it may not, but it certainly warrants an immediate evaluation to prevent further complications.  Best of luck! 

Daniel Kolder, MD
Camarillo Plastic Surgeon

Possible infection

I recommend that you be seen by a board certified Plastic Surgeon, in person, as soon as possible. We cannot give you specific advice or determine if you have an infection based on this information unfortunately.

Take care

Possible Infection

You need to be seen as soon as possible. 

If your surgeon is not getting back to you I would call another plastic surgeon in the area to have them take a look. 

Best of Luck, 

Landon Pryor, MD, FACS
Rockford Plastic Surgeon

Possible Infection?

You need to be seen ASAP. Any type of drainage when you have an underlying implant should be of great concern, until evaluated by your surgeon. If your surgeon is not responding, then contact a plastic surgeon that is closer to you.  If there is an infection and it is around the implant, worse case scenario you could lose that implant. Do not delay, you need to be seen.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

Is my incision infected??

I ma sorry that you are not getting any replies. You may need to contat a closer plastic surgeon for an evaluation.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Infected incision

My advice is that you need to be seen sooner rather than later. If your plastic surgeon is unreachable you might want to try finding one that is closer to you and having that plastic surgeon contact your plastic surgeon about your care. If that's not possible, then being seen in the emergency room is your best option and they will probably have a plastic surgeon on call. It's hard for me to believe in 2016 that a plastic surgeon or any physician for that matter who has operated on a patient, is unreachable after several days. That's quite disturbing to me. If they are out of town, there has to be someone covering for these types of issues that may come up. If you contacted the office and they have not relayed the message to the plastic surgeon of the importance of the return phone call, then I might call again ask if photos could be sent from a telephone camera so that the plastic surgeon can visualize them. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation - is incision infected

Thank you for your question about your breast augmentation.

• I am so very sorry you are having trouble seeing your plastic surgeon.
  • Please call and if possible also email and fax to the office with your name, date and cell number saying: "Please contact me immediately at (give your cell number.) I need an appointment to see you in 24 hours. This is my third request."
  • If you get no response  - that's terrible but focus for now on what you need -
  • You need to be seen within 24 hours by another plastic surgeon and if there isn't one near you, please see a general surgeon or, if that doesn't work, go to your nearest emergency room.
  • Once this problem is taken care of, then you can consider what if anything you want to do about your plastic surgeon who would not give you standard care after surgery.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes

Is my incision infected?

From your description, I would try to seek medical attention ASAP.  If you can't get in touch with your surgeon, try to get in touch with another plastic surgeon in your area.  If that fails, I would suggest you be seen in your nearing emergency facility.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon