Would it be wiser to have a FUT or FUE hair transplant first? Is it possible to have them both done? How does one choose?

I want to be able to maximize my donor area. I am a nw3 at 22 years old. I want to save my donor as much as possible, as I know down the road I would need another hair transplant. Would it be better to get the FUT done first , or FUE? Would I be able to do the other later on? Which procedure should I have done first to be able to maximize results? Thanks

Would it be wiser to have a FUT or FUE hair transplant first? Is it possible to have them both done?

Organic Hair Transplantation” is a hair transplantation procedure developed in the Estetik International Laboratories. The “Organic Hair Transplantation” method is a novel development in modern hair transplantation surgery practice which was developed with the efforts of our research and development department. Now; our successful hair transplantation results has evolved to a new era thanks to the “Organic Hair Transplantation” method. We can consider this new method as a revolutionary development.

“Organic Hair Transplantation” is based on injection of a mixture containing adipose derived stem cells obtained from own fat tissue of the patient to the scalp of the patient. The recipient area gets rejuvenated and the viability of transplanted grafts is increased with the effects of adipose derived stem cell injection. The injection of adipose derived stem cells also provides a better work area for the surgeon.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

If you are considering FUE versus Strip FUT surgery it is best to see a doctor for an examination and explain your goals.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

FUT and FUE together

To maximize the donor capacity is mostly possible for patients requesting or in need of large scale HT session.
On the other hand at age 22 you should consider taking Finasterid and using Minoxidil.

Ilker Apaydin, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Don't rush in to anything!

The mainstay of treatment for a young man such as yourself is medical therapy with finesteride.  If you respond well, you could put off your first transfer for years!  I prefer FUE in nearly everyone because of the avoidance of the scar.  Yes, you can do it again in the future if need be, but don't just in too soon and be prepared for a long road ahead.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

FUT vs FUE or both

Hair loss treatment requires a long term plan using the most effective options to prevent hair loss and restore when needed.  At 22, I would assume that most emphasis should be placed on prevention.  It's far easier to work to prevent hair loss than to restore, but also a better long term result is obtained.  Rogaine and propecia are generally indicated in most cases.  Cellular therapy however has been a great new treatment showing lots of promise in both slowing hair loss and restoring hair growth.  If you don't do well with these treatments, or if you have lost a lot of hair already, you may be a surgical candidate.  I generally prefer FUE, particularly in younger patients, but FUE or a combination of both can be indicated if you have stabilized your hair loss first.

Please learn more at NEhair and RegenerisMedical

Ryan Welter, MD
Boston Hair Restoration Surgeon

22 and asking for FUE or FUE

I would add a third option, the use of finasteride for a year to see what is going to happen to you.  You need a Master Plan for hair loss with a best and worst case scenario put together with you and a competent caring doctor. You need realistic expectations to make the decision before you. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon