Would I need a vertical Tummy Tuck scar for my procedure? (photo)

I'm just wondering if I would likely need a vertical scar when I get a tummy tuck? I'm 4'11 105 lbs..I've heard that some times women under 120 lbs need the vertical scar on addition to the horizontal which worries me a bit.

Vertical scar with tummy tuck is sometimes necessary with minimal skin laxity

Thank you for your question and for providing the photograph.  In some cases of tummy tuck, a vertical scar is necessary.  The horizontal scar is always in the C-section location.  If a vertical scar is necessary it would extend up from the horizontal scar in the middle, usually for about 2cm.  In order to determine whether or not you would need a vertical scar, your plastic surgeon would examine you to determine how much skin laxity you have above the umbilicus.  If there is minimal laxity, the patient sometimes needs either a vertical scar or an umbilical float. In an umbilical float, the belly button is detached from the abdominal wall and lowered slightly.  There is no scar around the umbilicus.  In any case, vertical scars are low and well-hidden.  If your surgeon determines it is necessary, it is usually to prevent the horizontal scar from being pulled up.

Vertical or Horizontal Scar for Tummy Tuck Surgery

Thank you for your inquiry and for providing a photo. After reviewing the picture you provided, you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck but it is difficult to say whether its absolutely necessary to use the vertical scar technique. An in person consultation would be necessary to evaluate further. Please always consult with a board certified plastic surgeon - You are always welcome to come see me at my office in Montreal. Regards,

Do I need a vertical scar

Your pic  was reviewed. It suggests that your skin is loose. It is not enough info to say conclusively that you will or will not need a vertical component to the tummy tuck procedure. Whereas I would try to do the procedure with a very low incision scar, I would counsel you regarding the need for a small verticle component. Face to face assessment by your Plastic Surgeon is a necessity.in that you get good information regarding this surgery.

Scar position not weight dependent

The position of the scar is dependent on the distance from your belly button to the pubic hairline and the amount of skin excess in the upper abdomen, not your weight.  If the operation is done properly you won't need a vertical, bu the scar may be high.

Scar position, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.  It is very important to discuss with your plastic surgeon how will be the resultant scars after surgery. In the Tummy Tuck the scarring is hidden in the panties line. You will change abdominal sagging skin, fat tissue and stretch marks by an aesthetically acceptable scar. If you have a vertical scar component (like an inverted "T") probably the skin didn't reach down, and needed to do that to get a safety closure.

Therefore, the scar revision may be considered after six months of surgery.

Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Vertical scar

Hello and thanks. It does not appear that you will need a vertical scar because you appear to have skin redundancy and stretch marks. Of course a true assessment can only be obtained by an in-person examination. 
Good luck

Just transverse

I only employ a vertical scar to revise an old vertical scar or in patients that have had massive weight loss that have a very loose transverse component that would benefit from the vertical.

No vertical scar

You should not need the vertical scar.  Your surgeon should be able to stretch the skin flap down to meet a low incision.  You may have some tension on the closure and need to be careful in the first week to avoid laying flat all the way but should heal fine in the end.  Best wishes, Dr. T. 

Vertical scar with a TT?

Yes, it is very possible that you will need a vertical scar. Having said that, the scar will "hide" in the remaining stretch marks and when it is flat, pale and mature will be very difficult see long term. Further more, if the scar is low, then part of the vertical scar will be covered up in a bikini. I would not hesitate to proceed as you will have  nice result. Make sure you have multiple consultations and ask to see before and after photos focusing on the appearance of the belly button and location of the transverse scar so you can be sure your expectations will be met. You are also likely to lose most, or part of your rose tattoo. 

Joel Patrick Maier, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck incision

Thank you for your question and photo. Based on this photo, I believe you would an ideal candidate for a complete tummy tuck and liposuction to contour your natural curvature; a vertical incision would not be necessary in your case. A horizontal incision placed discreetly along your lower abdomen will allow your physician to flatten the abdomen and give you the rejuvenated tummy you are looking to have. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for this procedure. Best of luck. James Lee

James Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon