Tingly sensations still at 2.5 weeks post op breast implants.

I'm 52 had under the muscle implants 2.5 weeks ago. I love my new breast but I still have a tingly very light burning sensation - It's hard to put into words. It's not painful but if I were to hit them by accident I feel it would kill! I just got my stitches out so the incisions feel fine. Anyway I'm just wondering if I should still be feeling this sensation? Thank you

Tingling is normal and should stop as you heal.

Many women experience a tingling sensation after breast augmentation and it’s actually a good sign that your nerves weren’t cut or damaged during the procedure. Adding breast implants may have stretched your nerves though and they are sending out electrical impulses to reconnect with the surrounding tissue. You may also feel a burning sensation, numbness or sudden sharp pains as your nerves, tissue and muscles adjust and your breast implants begin to soften and settle. The tingling should go away once you have fully recovered.

Tingly sensations at 2.5 weeks post op

Congratulations on loving your new breasts.  It can be common to have tingly sensations, quick shooting pains, electrical pulses, etc...after surgery.  These sensations are often related to "nerve pain."  The nerves are often traumatized from stretching, bruising, and swelling that can occur with a breast augmentation and although the nerves do their best to heal and recover sometimes it can take them awhile to do so and these sensations can occur.  Women can also be numb after surgery.  So there is no right or wrong sensation to have or not have after breast augmentation.  Be sure to keep your follow up appointments with your plastic surgeon.

Breast augmentation

You are early on in your recovery and throughout your recovery period you may experience different sensations such as tingling, burning or intermittent shooting pain.  These are normal experiences as the skin, muscles and tissue stretch to accommodate your implants, and as sensory nerves heal. I would recommend discussing this with your plastic surgeon so they are aware of your concerns.
Sincerely,
James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Sensation Changes Post Op

Hyper-sensitivity as well as temporary loss of sensation is normal post BBA. Your nerves can may also cause all sorts of odd sensations as they heal over the next few months. These are typically temporary and resolve 1-2 months post op. Numbness in some areas may last 6 months or more.

Talk to your Plastic Surgeon about any ongoing discomfort or concerns.

All the best

"Tingly" sensation post breast augmentation

Thanks so much for your question. It is common to have many different sensations soon after breast augmentation surgery. Tingly sensations, and tenderness are completely normal. Your surgeon's office will be more than happy to help you with any questions/concerns you may have. Good luck and enjoy your enhancement. 

Robert Sleightholm, MD
Brampton Plastic Surgeon

Sensory issues after surgery

Funny or weird sensations are common early post-op as the swelling begins to subside. Follow closely with your surgeon to make sure things are healing ok.

Breasts implants: Tingly sensations at 2.5 weeks after surgery

Tingling, zinging, tightness and burning are all normal sensations during healing. Usually one side feels fine and the other is more tender off and on for about nine months, but less and less each month. During the nine months you might have a couple of months with nothing on either side, then all of sudden you get a zing in that side;  this is normal as well. I advise my patients that ibuprofen would be helpful, from one week on after surgery, for any discomfort that lasts more than a minute. When concerned, it's always best to check in with your surgeon, who knows you best. Hope this information was is reassuring and good luck. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths." 

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

What you are describing sounds like hypersensitivity which is very common after breast augmentation surgery.  It is related to stretching of the nerves during surgery and almost always resolves by 6-7 weeks although rare cases have lasted longer.  Please bring this to the attention of your plastic surgeon who will follow you closely.

Odd sensations

Congratulations on your recent breast surgery! These sensations you are feeling are the nerve endings regenerating, this is a good thing and should settle down with time. Best of luck! 

Tingling after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. Tingling can be normal after breast augmentation, especially in the early post-operative setting. Tingling and burning is typically associated with irritation around nerves and nerves healing after surgery. Usually, this gradually resolves and will become less noticeable over time. I suggest you continue to follow up with your surgeon to be sure you are healing correctly. Good luck with your recovery!