What surgery would I need to shorten and fix the asymmetry of my chin? And what might the cost be? (Photo)

I believe I need my right side of my chin shortened and softened, as its very square. I have braces right now but even with my jaw aliening it is still very asymmetrical. My chin was damaged as a child, one side of my jaw didnt grow properly(left) according to my dentist. Im trying to get a shorter, more feminine chin.

Doctor Answers 4

Find the right surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation

Chin Reshaping

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Regardless of your asymmetry your chin is very square. You would need a T-shaped chin reduction osteotomy to vertically shorten and narrow your chin. (anterior part of V-line jaw reshaping surgery)


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
4purrfect, I have done many chin shaves over the years to improve chin shape and improve symmetry. You will never achieve perfect symmetry but certainly softening you chin is something I've done before. See a specialist who does "only faces". Good luck and see video!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 55 reviews

Chin appearance

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
you can alter the shape of the chin quite easily; but you should have the Maxillofacial surgeon review your bite as well, since you may need other management of the asymmetry

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.