Pain 3 weeks post CoolSculpting. Is this normal?

I have a band of pain that goes from one side to the other below the belly button. Had coolsculpting 3 weeks ago and still have this bit of pain left...feels like a bruise deep in the tissue. Is this normal 3 weeks later?

Coolsculpting

Hi,

I am sorry you are experiencing pain. I recommend contacting your doctor so he can prescribe you pain medication and help with your recovery.

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. Sorry to hear that. This can be normal. I would recommend speaking to your provider for tips to help you with your recovery. Perhaps he/she can recommend a medication to help with the pain. 

Regards,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Pain after CoolSculpting

Pain after CoolSculpting is common.  The degree of pain is what varies from patient to patient.  Everyone has tenderness to the treated area for 7-10 days as this is occurring with fat cell death and infammation.  I call that the 'don't touch me' phase.  There is often just mild achiness and tenderness for up to a month but this can either be ignored or treated with an NSAID of choice.  The really dramatic pain occurs rarely but is the 'lightning bolt, wake you up from a deep sleep' kind of pain.  We seem to see it more in younger patients and when treating low on the abdomen.  Because this is unpredictable and sudden we send patients home with an Rx for gabapentin that can be filled if needed if this sudden severe pain starts up.  Rest assured, this resolves over time too!

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Pain After Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting can have pain that lasts for weeks to months.  I suggest speaking to your physician you may need an evaluation or oral neurotin or both.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Long Term Pain

Your pain level should go be gone or almost gone 2 weeks post CoolSculpting.  In some extreme cases it can last a little longer but I recommend following up with your treating physician.  They can better determine what you may need to do to manage the discomfort.

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Pain 3 weeks After CoolSculpting

You should not be having significant pain 3 weeks after your CoolSculpting treatment. Some amount of discomfort is possible, but it should be getting better with each passing day. I would recommend following up with your treatment provider. Best wishes.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Pain post CoolSculpting

Hello and thank you for reaching out. It is quite possible that you can still experience some pain and strange sensations 3 weeks after your CoolSculpting treatment. Some patients will experience those feelings for up to 6 weeks after their treatment. Consult with the office where you had your treatments done to see if there is a medication they can prescribe you. Best Wishes. 

HI and sorry to hear about your issue. Pain several weeks following coolsculpting is unusual. It is usually due to neuralgia and responds well to various medications. See the doctor where the treatment was performed. Good luck.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS, FICS
Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS