I have noticed that I am losing a large number of short (2-3mm) hairs. What could be causing this?

- 54 yrs old female - eperienced significant hair shedding in June lasting 6-8 - GP attibuted TE to flu with high fever in March - hair loss now normal - experienced some itchiness and scalp redness so was prescribed cortisteroid but scalp became worse and has not been improved. ( long wait to see derm and considering stopping the meds) - now worried that about the large quantity of short hairs that I am losing many of which are normal in diameter rather than miniaturized.

Fat tissue obtained from own body of the patient is processed and enriched from adipose tissue derived stem cells with the Cihantimur Fat Transfer Technique which uses closed circuit system. The recipient area that the “Organic Hair Transplantation” will be performed is sterilized and the mixture containing adipose tissue derived stem cells is injected to the area. The volume of the scalp is increased and nutrition process begins. Meanwhile hair grafts are extracted from the donor site with use of micro bistoury.

The extracted hair grafts then classified according to their types and prepared for the transplantation process. In order to get the most natural result the angles of the hair canals are determined precisely. The donor site is dressed after the “Organic Hair Transplantation” process is completed which will be removed the following day. The recipient area is left as open.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

You need a proper exam to understand what is going on with your hair loss.

You need a proper exam to understand what is going on with your hair loss.  Short hair loss and Telogen Effluvium does not make sense.  There is more to your issue and you need to see a doctor in person to explore what is going on.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Scalp redness, itchiness and shedding

Hair loss in women is complex and requires expert evaluation. Please see your dermatologist.

Any woman over 50 with shedding, itchiness and redness (all together) needs to be evaluated for a scarring alopecia. Of course other diagnoses are possible too.

54 year old female with history of telogen effluvium

You report that you are now losing short hairs. Women with TE and hair loss are not easy to evaluated. You should keep your appointment with the dermatologist and not treat yourself. You need an expert working with you on your condition. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon