I am 5'4 and 120pd police officer looking to get Saline implants. Any suggestions?

I was given 2 opinions. Saline 350cc filled to 375 or 350cc to 400cc. Another Dr suggest 325cc, but in the gummy bear implant. My ideal look would be a full c cup as I'm an A / small B cup. I would like them to look natural.

Implant choice

Most surgeons work on dimensional measurements to assess which implant size will be most likely to get your to your desired cup size but bra sizes are so variable between manufacturers that a bra cup size can never be guaranteed. Saline and silicon /gummy bear  are sexed the same - the choose of material saline vs silicon is up to you  - the former feel less natural and can deflate while silicon is much more common than saline now and feels more natural

You can achieve natural looking results with saline or silicone, when your surgery is performed by an experienced board certified plastic surgeon. It would be difficult to recommend a size or shape of implant without knowing more measurements. I usually recommend an implant based on a variety of breast dimension measurements, and that may be what the doctors you met with did for you as well. Why don’t you try on sizers in both implant sizes to see how they feel and look? 

Focus on the look not the cc or cup size

Focus on the look not the cc or cup size. Patient's often regret decisions based on extraneous factors as you may end up with suboptimal result. Bra's vary from store to store, and cc's mean nothing in isolation. You should be measured during your consult and offered implants within a 5mm window of those measurements in multiple styles. For what's its worth, in my experience a dimensionally sound mod+ profile tends to go from an A+/B- to the magical full C or small D. A high profile (or SRF) would be about 100ccs larger to maintain the same base width and more like a Full D but VS will call it a DD or DDD, particularly in a 32-34. Ultimately, try on the different styles and look in the mirror. When you see the look you like, pick that style! This requires a consult, exam, measurements and sizing with a board certified plastic surgeon. My patients select the implant style and their chest dimensions dictate the number of cc's. I make specific recommendations to each and every of the augmentation patients I see annually based on: 1) dimensional planning 2) expressed goals 3) amount and quality of tissue to hide the implant. I have included a link with my explanation of the different implants and what to expect from your consult as well as hundreds of before and after photos to see what change implants of a particular size deliver. Best of luck. #drfeldman #BancroftFeldman #breastaugmentation #sugarland #HoustonTX

If the implants suggested to you feel close, then do a baggy test to get a rough idea if you would be happy with the volume.

Saline Implants with a Natural Look and Feel

Good morning.

Interesting conundrum - it's easy to see how all these decisions can be difficult.

Once you've determined that breast augmentation is right for you, the next step is to get a sense of the size you would like balanced against your tissue characteristics and the aesthetic goals you are looking for. That can be done relatively easily with an in office visit and the use of sizers.

Regarding implant selection many women will be candidates for different types of implant - smooth round, textured shaped, silicone or saline.

In general silicone implants will offer a softer feel with less risk of rippling (the feel can change depending on the implant fill characteristics). Saline traditionally can feel a little bit more firm, can have higher rates of rippling but tends to have a lower rate of capsular contracture.

Newer structured saline implants (the Ideal Implant for example) have the similar quality of traditional saline (lower capsular contracture) with the added benefit of a softer look and feel and lower rippling rates when compared to older saline technologies. As an added bonus, they can still undergo some intraoperative on table adjustments.

With time and patience you can usually find an option that feels right for you.

Best of luck with your search and take care.

Dr Nodwell

Trefor Nodwell, MD
Ottawa Plastic Surgeon

Gels usually give a more natural look and feel. Salines allow intraop adjustment of cc's.

Size should be discussed and agreed upon by you and your surgeon, even if it takes several visits- based on your measurements, goals and sizing tools. 25cc is not much difference but 325 to 400 can be a cup size apart. 

What size implant.

This is a hard question to answer without looking at your frame. In my own practice we have our patients try on implant sizers so they cam get a sense of the implants on their body. I have included a sizing link below that I hope will help you.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Selecting the right implant

If you are looking for natural, silicone implants will likely provide a more natural feel versus the saline counterparts.  In terms of size, there are many ways to go through that process.  I would stress to you the importance of focusing more on conveying the LOOK you are trying to achieve rather than speaking in terms of cup sizes (which vary between manufacturer) or cc's. Ultimately, to some extent you need to trust in the surgeon you choose to help you through the process.

Sizing Options for Natural Results

If your concern is mainly with a natural look and feel, silicone cohesive gel implants will probably make you happier. Round or shaped implants can look natural depending on the projection, placement and available tissue you have to cover them. I recommend that you discuss these options in person with a board certified Plastic Surgeon. My patients find it helpful to try on the implant sizers with a form fitting T-Shirt in order to get an idea of how they will look.

All the best