Derma Rolling After Restylane?

I had restylane injected into some pitted acne scarring on my cheeks and chin about 3 weeks ago and have seen little to no results. I have to wait 6 months before I can treat the scars with laser resurfacing, but was wondering if I could do some light derma rolling with a dermapen in the meantime? Does that affect the restylane?

Dermal Rolling For Tone & Texture Improvement; TCA CROSS Technique For Pit (Ice Pick) Scars

Pitted acne scars (ice pick scars) are very narrow, but deep scars. As such they are not amenable to elevation using fillers. In fact, not uncommonly, due to the fact that these kinds of scars are so deeply anchored and embedded, the instillation of a filler can make things worse, since the filler may spread instead to the area immediately surrounding the orifice to the pit--elevating it and yielding a "donut"-like appearance. 

What needs to be done for pit scars is to shrivel the walls of the pits together down to their depths, something that may be easily, quickly and inexpensively be accomplished by the instillation of a super high concentration of trichloroacetic acid (TCA), a procedure known as the TCA CROSS Technique. 

Once the pits have been treated in this fashion, medical microneedling (dermal needling)--performed either manually with a roller or automatically with a Dermapen device--can be used to better blend the overall surface tone and texture of the the treated skin with the surrounding normal skin. 

You would do well to seek consultation and treatment with a board certified aesthetic physician with expertise and experience in scar treatments.

Restylane and acne scars

Restylane is not indicated for pitted acne scars only for scars that are distensible that is can be stretched. pitted scars can be treated with subcision to loosen the collagen, cutting them out and grafting. Laser will also be of no benefit nor will dermarolling--these are not for ice pick scars

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Dermarolling

You should have no problem with Dermarolling at this time.  However, in the future you should be aware that Dermarolling directly after the filler injection could move the filler and would not be advised.

Gregory Pistone, MD
Cherry Hill Dermatologist

Restylane and Dermarolling and treating acne scars

There is no reason that you can't get dermal rolling or laser treatments or microneedling 3 weeks after your Restylane injections.  I find that eMatrix or Fraxel lasers work the best. 

Acne scars and fillers

Thank you for your question.  We often do subcision at the time of both skin test and injections (typically Bellafill) for acne scars and get great results.  I see no reason you can't do dermal rolling, of course depending upon the depth of the needles.  Regards, Dr.Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon