Considering cheek lift and lower face lift to fix sagging cheeks post malar implant removal. What are your opinions? (Photo)

I have sagging cheeks from removing 8 year old malar implants. I have tried many kinds of filler and have been unsuccessful. I am now considering a cheek lift and lower face lift (to fix loose skin around my jaw). Does a cheek lift actually reposition and lift the cheek area (where there is thicker tissue) or does it merely pull back the skin? What procedures (aside from fillers) and recommended for sagging cheeks post malar implant removal? Are these procedures unheard of in a 33 yr old?

Loose cheeks and 33-year-old female

A midface lift can certainly help with the present situation however it is best to proceed with non invasive methods first.  I would advise you to try Thermismooth in those areas.If that fails to give you end of improvement then we can consider a midface lift.

Regards

Dr. J

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek lift

A mini facelift with SMAS manipulation to elevate the cheek would be indicated for this.  You are very young for this and would need to be more closely evaluated to see if you are a candidate. 

Midface lift.

Thank you for your question and for sharing your experience and concerns with us. A mid-face lift may be needed if you are looking for a surgical procedure to help you lift the cheek into a higher position. I would recommend visiting a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss your options in more detail. However, you don't have a lot of laxity in the photos and surgery may be overkill.  You may want to consider Voluma or Restylane Lyft done by an experienced injector or other skin tightening procedures like Ulthera or Profound.

Cheek augmentation with fat grafts

Based on you photo it doesn't look that you need any kind of face lift procedure? It is very hard to make analysis of your cheeks from presented image. You do not seem to have significant cheek sagging? In your age group, fullness of the cheeks could be accomplished with fat graft of the cheeks and periorbital area. That will compensate for sagging and deflation after implant removal.

You should consult an experienced board certified plastic surgeon in your area and discuss you options. Good luck. 

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Considering cheek lift and lower face lift to fix sagging cheeks post malar implant removal. What are your opinions?

It is very limited what we can say about your concern with the pictures that you submitted. In my opinion I will recommend that you consult with a board certified Facial Plastic Surgeon with your concerns for a physical examination of your face. Depending on the findings and your concerns you could be recommended:

1. Augmentation with Voluma
2. Augmentation with Fat grafting.
3. Cheek lift.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Gus Diaz

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek lift

Your image is limiting, but from what I can see you do not need any form of a surgical lift. If volumization is a concern, consider Voluma. In my experience fat grafting for volume can be unpredictable and in your case I believe you would be best to shot for a subtle predictable result. You should find a plastic surgeon in your area with broard range of experience.

Bradley Robertson, MD

Hi, I have performed many face lifts and cheek implant surgeries over the past 30 years.  Based on the photo, the cheeks have a slight flat portion anteriorly (in the front), there is evidence of some early jowls and a very weak chin.  I have in this scenarion, many times, used Restylane Lyft to create a more rounded front section of the chekk that will feminize the entire face in women.  

A weak chin creates an inblance between the mid and lower face making the mid face appear top heavy and the nose larger.  Chin augmentation, with a chin implant, will add projection to the chin creating ahrmong and balance to the lower face.

Lastly, If you have "jowls" this is sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a facelift, not Cheek Augmentation.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured. The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face (cheek lifts) and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

•very small incisions
•minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
•can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without anesthesia
•no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
•excess fat can be removed
•excess skin removed
•cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
•most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op

Hope this helps.