Is bulging lower abdomen and scarred belly button repairable? (photos)

Abdominoplasty Dec 2014. All was well until March when I started exercising heavily. Swelling started and stayed. PS said I was like that pre surgery however I was not. No chance of revisions. Is this permanent or is there a way to fix the odd contour and bely button I am left with? Looking for an experienced PS in Ottawa region that does abdominoplasty revisions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Doctor Answers 6

Is bulging lower abdomen and scarred belly button repairable? (photos)

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hello, thank you for your question. Yes, your lower abdomen and #bellybutton can be #revised. In my opinion, you will likely benefit from a #minitummytuck, some #lipo and #revision of your belly button. It is difficult to say if you need any additional muscle repair. Your best option is to schedule several consultations for face-to-face #evaluations to determine what procedures would benefit you the most. I will attach a website where you may locate board certified plastic surgeons. Best wishes!

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews

Revisional surgery after tummy tuck

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Looking at your profile pictures it appears there is some bulging in the lower abdomen with excess skin and stretch marks. Also there is substantial scarring around the belly button.

This is a difficult problem to correct and would involve a combination of a mini tuck along with belly button scar revision. The muscles in the lower abdomen may need to be tightened again.

It would be useful to see your pictures before surgery to gauge how things were before your operation.

Please consult an experienced plastic surgeon to have a full discussion about surgical correction which is invariably not straightforward. 

Sanjay Azad, MS, FRCSEd
Thunder Bay Plastic Surgeon

Belly button revision and liposuction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You may need a combination of belly button revision, liposuction, and mini tummy tuck to correct the problems that you are concerned about. Liposuction should probably be the first step. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

Bulging Lower Abdomen

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question.

It does appear that you have some bulging in your lower abdomen.  This can be corrected with a mini tummy tuck, with a repeat muscle plication of your lower abdomen, and the resection of some of the extra skin just above the incision.  Your belly button does appear to have scarring, and this can be revised (cut out the scar tissue and restitch the umbilicus).  You may start to scar like that again, but it isn't likely.  You can use silicone sheeting and gel to help prevent excess scar tissue formation.   If you start to get excessive scarring again, there are things that can be done to limit the scar tissue formation (e.g. steroid injections).  Best of luck!

Revision surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi, moxy234.
You seem to have a good overall contour.
Revising the belly button and lower abdomen can be done.  
Based on your photos, you may benefit from mini tummy tuck.
Best to talk with your plastic surgeon about his/her surgical plan.

Tummy tuck revision

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I have attached a link where you can search for a board certified plastic surgeon in your area. I am sorry that you are unhappy with your results. Yes, your frustrations can be fixed, but they aren't easy fixes so make sure to see a surgeon who has a lot of experience with tummy tucks. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 56 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.