Am I a good candidate for injectable fillers in the tear trough area?

I have had these bags under my eyes since i was a teenger. I am 22 now and they seem to keep getting. I used to smoke but have quit, I drink a lot of water and keep active and eleminated salty foods and coffee from my diet and no improvement . The bags always seem to be puffy or noticeable no matter how hard I try to deminsh them. I have tired absolutly everything aside from actual botox or surgery. I have an appointment for tear trough fillers next week, just wanted other professional opinions

Doctor Answers 11

Filler under the eyes

Without seeing pictures of you it is difficult to say what is best. Since you are in your early 20's, I would recommend meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon so you can learn about non-surgical treatments such as Restylane under the eyes, Botox or possibly a laser treatment. These non-surgical treatments can have fantastic results for patients when performed by physicians with a lot of experience with injectables and lasers. Good luck!

Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Injectable Fillers

Thank you for your question. You appear to be a good candidate for injectable fillers however certain fillers may not be beneficial for someone that is prone to swelling so it is important to seek an experienced injector for an in person consultation. Best wishes. 

Daniel J. Ritacca, MD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.3 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Am I a good candidate for injectable fillers in the tear trough area?

Under eye fillers ideal for the tear troughs include Belotero®/Restylane®/Volbella® because of their thinner viscosity rendering a smaller chance of chronic swelling after their placement. However, if a patient already has puffy eyes/undereye "bags" (especially in the AM), then fluid retention problems may exist in the eye area, which may be worsened by filler. As this an advanced procedure that requires a 3 dimensional evaluation, please consult a board certified aesthetic dermatologist for a consultation. 

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 9 reviews

Treatment of Eye Bags

Hello and thank you for your question!

The answer are a good candidate for treatment with filler. HOWEVER, a few things....filler is temporary, and since you are young, it is something you will be repeating for a long time. Further, filler will fill in the hollowed area (called the tear trough) however, it will do nothing to treat the prominence (due to protrusion of oribtal fat) that is directly above the hollowed area. This can only be treated with blepharoplasty. The good thing is that the treatment is permanent. I would perform the blepharoplasty with an incision inside your eyelid (so that you  never see it) and transpose (move) the bulging fat into the hollow below to blend the eyelid and cheek together. 

If you are completely opposed to surgery though, filler does a nice job camouflaging the problem if done by the right person (a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon is best).

David L. Cangello, MD, FACS
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

In a professional's opinion--Tear Trough injections: fillers with cannulas

I think you're a good candidate. Go to a Dr who does injections with cannulas to limit complications.  Restylane silk and belotero are my go to fillers in this area. The dark circles can be treated with lasers and microneedling/prp. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 190 reviews

Am I a good candidate for injectable fillers in the tear trough area

I think you are a good candidate for fillers t the trough. I think you will likely still have a little darker skin there, but the transition form eyelid to cheek will look much better.

Julio Garcia, MD
Las Vegas Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

Am I a good candidate for injectable fillers in the tear trough area?

Thank you for your question and photograph. Properly done a soft filler such as Juvederm can plump the depression beneath her lower eyelid bags and lessen the appearance of fullness.  However a permanent solution would involve a trans-conjunctival blepharoplast with arcus marginalis release and fat grafting. To learn more about this procedure please read the link below:

Under eye treatment

I think you would be a good candidate for fillers under the eyes.  Be sure to visit with an experienced injector.  Not all products are appropriate for this area, so be sure to discuss which products will be used.  Good skin care products are also essential to complete the look.

Camille Cash, MD
Houston Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Lower lid hollowing

Based on these pictures, you would be a great candidate for lower lid filling.  You don't have a lot of fat, but do have a deep tear trough.  Adding some filler to that area should smooth out the lower lid and decrease the appearance of dark circles.  Make sure they use Restylane or belotero, and not Juvederm which can cause too much edema. And if you don't like the filler it can be easily removed.  

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

Filler under eyes

An experienced injector is important.  You need a thin filler in this area and not too much at one time.  You can always come back if not enough.  There can be a lot of bruising and swelling in the area. An injector that uses a cannula rather than a needle may help with less bruising and  swelling. 

Deborah DiStefano, MD
Chattanooga Ophthalmologist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.