Can I use a dermal filler to correct my nose? Or do I have to do surgery? Which is really what I don't want to do (Photo)

Can i use a dermal filler to correct my nose? Or do i have to do surgery? Which is really what i dont want to do. I think it was a slight fracture but it is healed now. Two people noticed it. I cant really tell in the mirror but i can see it in pictures and its bringing down my self esteem to the point i dont even want to look at anyone.

Dermal fillers can help smooth out small imperfections only

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

But, in any nose that has been traumatised by surgery or fracture I would be very cautious as the blood supply could be unpredictable and so the risk of complications could be greater. I would suggest visiting an ENT surgeon first.

Non-surgical rhinoplasty demystified

Deciding whether you are or are not a candidate for a non-surgical nose job really depends on your goals. The best candidates for a non-surgical nose job are typically the following types of patients: 1) Those who want the bridge of their nose raised or who want a hump hidden to achieve a more feminine profile 2) Patients with a nose that deviates to one side or the other. Filler can help make it look more straight 3) Patients with features in the tip that appear too harsh or pointy and need softening. Fillers can help create a much smoother and balanced appearance. What non-surgical nose jobs can't do are help patients narrow their nose, make it project (stick out) less, or help with breathing. For these issues a surgical rhinoplasty is required.

It is very important to know that a non-surgical rhinoplasty is a VERY advanced and technically challenging procedure to do safely. Too much filler in any given area can cause issues with blood supply to the skin on the nose so it is essential that you have a physician who is comfortable in rhinoplasty perform the procedure. There must be an utmost respect for the anatomy and blood supply of the nose. In experienced hands it can be done safely and beautifully with results that enhance the appearance of the nose and really help patients feel more confident.

Depending on the filler used, the results typically last between 1 and 2 years. The procedure is performed after topical numbing creme is applied and should be performed in a meticulous fashion. This means that the procedure typically takes about 45 minutes.

I hope that helps!

Jeffrey Watson, MD
Harvard Trained/Board Certified
Rhinoplasty Specialist
Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon

Jeffrey Watson, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filler can make your nose look straighter

Fractures can often lead to asymmetry or indentations or contour irregularites, ones that are more visible in certain types of lighting or photographs. Fillers are a great way to make your nose look straight, or at least straighter. Fillers will not fix the fracture itself, but they can give the appearance that it was fixed. If you are having trouble breathing, then surgery may be a better answer as filler will not help that. Filler is a purely cosmetic fix, meaning it can camouflage the issues and make the nose look amazing, without changing the function or underlying structure.  It is also an immediate correction, and can last 9 months to 2 years depending on what is used. Also, some fillers have the added reassurance that if you don't like it, they can be injected with an enzyme that dissolves the filler. I recommend consulting with a surgeon who has experience with nonsurgical rhinoplasty for the best results.

Anita Patel, MD, FACS

Dermal fillers or rhinoplasty

Dermal fillers or rhinoplasty 

Thanks for your question and photo. Small irregularities and asymmetries in the nose can be improved with fillers and one can either use permanent or temporary fillers. Among the permanent fillers are FDA approved, Bellafill ® or fat transfer (which, of course, comes from your own body). Fillers will rarely improve nasal obstruction, however.  For a life long result, a rhinoplasty is still generally the gold standard but many of my patients are delighted with what a filler can do, especially if one's expectations are properly managed.  Best to have an in person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Randal Haworth, MD, FACS

Liquid Nose Job

Hi!  I would recommend a restylane silk treatment in attempt to correct your nose before having surgery.

T.G. Khan, DO, FACS
Fort Lee Oculoplastic Surgeon

Dermal Fillers for Nose

Dermal fillers are great for camouflaging slight asymmetry and bumps on the nose.  You would need to consultation to see if you are a good candidate.  Fillers such as Voluma or Radiesse are excellent.

Good Luck

Dermal fillers may be considered for nonsurgical rhinoplastic procedures for a straighter nasal appearance.

Adding volume to the left side of your nasal bridge, in the concavity, may be considered for a straighter nasal appearance. Consider consulting with several rhinoplasty specialists so you could see what might be best for you moving forward. Thank you. Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Improving Nasal Symmetry with Non Surgical Nosejob with Fillers (voluma, restylane, juvederm)

I recommend getting a formal evaluation with a cosmetic dermatologist. Facial fillers (voluma, restylane, juvederm) could be used to improve the symmetry of the nose. Surgery would be needed to improve nostrils or overall shape. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Filler for Correction of Crooked Nose

It appears that you have a slight "C" curve to your nose that may be from a break. As long as there are no other significant problems, this can be camouflaged quite well with a filler like Juvederm Voluma or Radiesse. In fact, one of the most common surgical ways of correction is to place cartilage grafts to disguise the problem rather than rebraking the nose and shifting it back to its previous position. This is because the scar has memory and frequently reverts to its previous curve. Make sure you see an experienced injector with knowledge of the nose and its anatomy.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Nonsurgical Nose Jobs Can Help To Restore More Normal Nasal Contours

Additional photos in three-quarter and profile views would have been helpful, however, it does appear that there is a slight shift of the bridge of the nose rightward, which may be the result of the fracture you describe. Volumizing fillers can be used to balance this at the expense of a bit of widening of the bridge area, which may not be so problematic considering the width of the nasal tip. An experienced aesthetic physician might suggest a trial injection of either saline or dilute anesthetic solution placed into the appropriate areas. The results of such a test generally last no more than five to ten minutes before the injected solution is absorbed, but this is usually sufficient time to get a real-world, rather than a computer simulation idea of how the actual result of treatment with a volumizer might look--which might in fact prove to be a significant improvement. Before and after photos in the sidebar to this column of a patient of mine who had a nonsurgical nose job with a volumizing filler demonstrates just how gratifying this form of treatment, which took only three minutes to perform, can be. Make sure you consult with a board certified aesthetic physician with skill and expertise in performing nonsurgical rhinoplasty and be certain to ask to see his/her before and after photos before agreeing to proceed. Best of luck.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD