Can Juvederm VOUBELLA be injected to lips that have Juvederm Voluma already in them?

2 months ago I had Voluma injected into my lips. They are uneven and not the feel or size I want. Can I have Voubella rather than Voluma injected to help correct this? Can both products be in one area or will I have to have it disolved with hylorondase first?

Voluma and Injections

Dear Galsmiley,

Thank you for your clinical post. Voluma can be used successfully to augment lips even though its generic Health Canada approvals for volumization and facial shaping. The advantages of Voluma are its longevity, however, sometimes lumpiness can occur. If you’re unhappy with the shape and lumpiness of the lips and it is visible waiting until the Voluma disappears will not be an aesthetically pleasing option and you may need to resort to an enzyme Hyaluronidase to dissolve the product. If the Voluma is not aesthetically displeasing or has subtle asymmetries you can then use Volbella in the same lip as the Voluma exists and generally the two do not react.

I would recommend seeing your injection physician to see if they feel comfortable injecting Volbella in the same lip as Voluma which is something that I perform not uncommonly and I’ve had no untoward events or complications.

I hope this information is of some assistance and best of luck.

To find out more, please visit the link below.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

Voluma and Injections

Volbella is not FDA approved yet in the US for the lips but it is expected shortly. Volbella is appropriate for the lips whereas Voluma is not meant for the lip area.  I would wait for the Voluma to dissolve on its own or have it injected with Vitrase.  Then please wait at least two weeks before proceeding with Volbella for your lips.  Best, Dr. Green

Juvederm

Thanks for your question.  It is possible to inject Volbella into lips that have had previous Voluma injected.  However, it would be unusual to inject hyaluronidase rather than simply waiting several months for the current product to be less noticeable.