I Had Orthodontic Treatment for my Overcrowded Teeth - Lasting for 5 Years. I Am Not Satisfied, Am I a Candidate for Invisalign?

Will treatment such as invisalign correct my teeth to go backward, and upward, and shift into the midline/with nasal bridge.

Doctor Answers 5

Yes you are a candidate!

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You wouldn't have any problems finishing your case with Invisalign! You are probably going to still have the posteriior crossbite on the left side. I would consider using an appliance called a "quadhelix" to get some expansion first before you take your Invisalign records. Good Luck!

Springfield Orthodontist

Invisalign is good for crowding.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi Apple14

It looks like you have a slight skeletal discrepancy.  Meaning, your upper jaw and lower jaw don't match up well.

You might be a candidate for Invisalign, but it depends what you are looking to achieve.  If you want to have perfect occlusion, then no, Invisalign would not work well, and neither would braces. 

But, looking at your teeth, I think its more of a tooth shape issue exacerbated by the way the teeth are positioned,  rather than just an alignment problem, that makes you unhappy with the results you have achieved after 5 years of orthodontic treatment.   

I would guess, looking at the one picture you provided, that Invisalign along with some tooth shaping/contouring would provide you with the results you want.

It important that you see a cosmetic dentist qualified in Invisalign to find out. 

Best, Dr. Al per


Steve Alper, DMD
New York Dentist

Invisalign possibilities after long term traditional orthodontics

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There have been some good recommendations given.  Bottom line, do the impressions and pictures and send the case in for a clincheck, which is a proposal on computer with a 3-d model that can be looked at to see if the result is acceptable.  All the movements are graded as to difficulty so you can have an idea of potential problems and a time line of treatment is given so you know how long it will take.  There are indeed some challenges to your case, and I suspect the 5 years of traditional braces proved that.  Cosmetic reshaping to achieve correct size relations between teeth is a great idea to consider.  Be sure and choose and experienced Invisalign dentist.

Yes you are an Invisalign candidate!

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Judging your case by the photos you have an arch size discrepancy. If your expectations are reasonable there is no reason why you can't finish this case with Invisalign. The movements you have indicated in your question such as moving teeth upwards,backwards, and the correction of the midline will probably be able to be achieved. I would not recommend attempting to change your posterior occlusion though. In other words I would not try to correct the crossbite that is present on your molars. Cases that have skeletal discrepancies such as yours are sometimes best not treated with expanding the arches. Sometimes this expansion can lead to a bite relationship that is undesirable and certainly uncomfortable. If  your expectations  are in line with your initial requests than Invisalign should be able to accomplish this for you. If you are looking for that perfect posterior occlusion than anything other than a surgical approach would fall short of your expectations. Good luck!

Howard Perlmutter, DMD
Paramus Dentist

Invisalign has limitations

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The issues you display would be a challenge for any method of orthodontics and expectations should be limited.  If you are looking for "perfect" then you may need a surgical consultation.  If "good enough" can be defined and is acceptable to you, then Invisalign may work.  I hate to be pessimistic, but I don't think it is likely.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.