Hi! I had a Labiaplasty and the stitches have opened. What should I do? (photos)

I talked to my doctor and he said now it should heal by second intention... I'm REALLY afraid because I think it`s not good. Should I do something, like look for another doctor? ps: it has been the second surgery, just at the right side, where it's opened.

Was you doctor a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon? Be sure to choose a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with extensive experience in Labiaplasty to avoid revision surgery.  It will heal with time and proper wound care. Make sure to keep your surgeon updated on any changes during your recovery.

When stitches fail and wounds come apart

it seems logical to just go back and put a few more sutures in... but this approach is doomed to fail.  Letting it heal on its own would be the most reasonable option as your surgeon recommended.  It will heal with good wound care and if you feel the scar is excessive because of this, your surgeon can revise it when the timing is right for you as the recovery will be the same as if you had your first procedure done.  You do not need to see anyone else right now. You may be surprised with how well it will heal.

Curtis Wong, MD

Wound separation is possile

For now, have close follow up with your surgeon and clean and wash the area several times a day to get the best results with this healing.  Over time, you can see what has healed and what needs to be fixed after this healing.  Be patient for now and see what the final results is over many weeks or months, and decide then if it needs a third revision.  Choose your doc very carefully the third time if needed, there will be more scar tissue and the repair will be a little more difficult.

Gaping crater after total labiaplasty scar blowout

This looks frightening to patients, but will close on it's own from the inside out. Keep it clean and irrigate with water. There are no vital organs within the empty space. No sex until it's healed. In six months you can have the scar revised.

Second intention

Your doctor is correct. If a wound opens up, you must let it heal by second intention, i.e. the wound will close on its own. You just need to clean it at least twice a day and take care of it.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Big hematoma leading to dehiscence (wide opening) of labiaplasty incision

Oh my! So depressing, especially since it was the "...second time around..."  What to do?  If you are 48 hours or less after surgery, there is a good chance it can be re-stitched. If you are over 2 days, it can not, and your doc is right: nothing to do except let it slowly heal "...from underneath on up" (called "healing by secondary intention...) What caused this was a gigantic hematoma, very likely caused by a blood vessel that began ooziing un-noticed after surgery. If this "goose-egg" is recognized early, it can be either compressed or evacuated, ant the "pocket" decompressed and the skin sutures saved. Additionally, this can be PREVENTED at surgery by putting layers of sub-cutaneous (deep) sutures to eliminate any pockets ("...dead space") where blood can form. It would be interesting to read the "operative report" to see if this was done.

In any case, your wound will need, slowly unfortunately, to "granulate" in and slowly heal. Stay in close touch with your surgeon during this phase! This will take ~ 2 + months. When you are 3-4 months post-op, you can see an EXPERIENCED cosmetic gynecologist or plastic surgeon or 2 and get their opinions about revision. However, it will be at least 6 months post-op before any revision, if needed and feasible, can be attempted.

Very best wishes,

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA

Wound breakdown after labiaplasty

Hi. Sorry to hear about this complication. I very much doubt that a secondary closure could be considered, so the emphasis of your current care would revolve around using the most appropriate dressings to get you healed in the shortest possible time. Only once healed, can a formal review take place. See your surgeon and get advice. One also needs to consider why this happened (look for a possible cause) to limit the chances of it recurring with any subsequent surgery. Good luck.

Paul Jason Skoll, MBChB, FRCS, FCS (SA) Plast
South Africa Plastic Surgeon

Hi! I had a labiaplasty and the stitches have opened. What should I do?

Thank you for sharing your question and experience and I am sorry to hear of your complete incision separation.  I would recommend seeing your surgeon for an in-person evaluation so that they can offer you appropriate wound care instructions.  Depending on the timing since surgery it is unlikely that a repair can be performed due to the swelling present within the tissues and you will need to allow your body time to heal from the inside-out.  Best wishes.

Management of dehiscence

I completely agree with Dr Aguirre. Although this must be a very worrying experience for you, Wounds in this area usually heal well. Wound dehiscence frequently appear in smokers, diabetics and patients with other conditions affecting their healing and it is best to optimise as many factors as possible to aid healing. There is good potential that everything heals without the need for further surgery, but in the meantime, make sure your doctor properly supports you in the healing process

Hagen Schumacher, MD, PhD, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma with wound breakdown following Revision Labiaplasty

Hello Nnmazz, 

So sorry about your recent complication from a revision Labiaplasty. What to do... 

Very difficult to give definitive advice not having examined you, but the most important thing at this time is to be following your surgeon's recommendations. If you feel you need a second opinion, ask your surgeon if he/she is confident of the treatment approach and if the answer and/or your gut doesn't "buy it", then by all means seek another opinion.

If this is a clean, uninfected, wound separation from a hematoma then healing by secondary intention is appropriate. Be vigilant for signs and/or symptoms of infection. The wound will heal surprisingly well. I'm unable to comment on the aesthetic outcome by looking at these pictures, but I wouldn't worry about that right now. 

Send a future post once the wound is healed so I/we can comment further.  

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist