How many weeks or days should I suspend alcohol and smoking before BBL?

Thank you for your questions.  I have my patients stop smoking for a minimum of 2 weeks before surgery and 1 month after surgery.  You shouldn't drink any alcohol while you are taking any pain medications.

Smoking and surgery

There is no hard data on the cessation of smoking as regards the risks of surgery.  Most practitioners recommend you stop all tobacco products one month before and two weeks after surgery.

Smoking and surgery, some advices:

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. 

In my practice i recommend to avoid smoking before 1 month of surgery and after two months of the procedure to avoid unnecessary risks. 

Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Smoking and alcohol intake prior to surgery

Smoking has a definite effect on healing. With BBL the grafted fat will do much better if smoking is stopped at least one month prior to surgery. Alcohol should not be mixed with pain meds at any time.  Alcohol consumption should be discussed with your surgeon.

Shahriar Mabourakh, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

I tel all of my patients that I would like them to completely quit smoking for 4 weeks before and 4 weeks after their surgery. If they cannot do so, then their outcome may not be as good. The beautiful thing about BBL is that it allows you to lose fat from the areas where you have more than enough, while adding that same fat to the areas where you do not have enough! That way both the donor and the recipient sites improve. I have been doing buttock implant surgery for 20+ years with very nice results and few complications. Nonetheless, I do now recommend BBL to patients who have sufficient donor site fat to achieve a result that meets their expectations. I have found that we can transfer a much greater volume of fat than the volume of implant that we can place into the inter-muscular pockets that I use (beneath the Gluteus Maximus and above the Gluteus Medius & Minimus muscles. In rare cases, we can even place an implant at a later date to maximize volume. Fat can be placed throughout the buttocks region while gluteal implants are used in the upper buttocks. I do not place buttock implants where my patient would sit on them because that would increase the risk of complications. Lastly, some patients think that if they put on weight that we will get a better result. The problem is that if you then lose that weight, the grafted fat will also likely be lost in proportion to your weight loss. Good luck!

Steven M. Gitt, MD, FACS (in memoriam)
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question. In order to improve your chances of a successful outcome smoking should be stopped at least 1 month prior to your procedure. As for drinking alcohol, it could be detrimental to ingest alcohol with your pain medicine. Having said that, each surgeon has their own way of managing patients, I would therefore encourage you to try and discuss this with your chosen plastic surgeon. I hope this helps. Best wishes.

Brazilian Butt Lift / Liposuction / Fat Grafting / High Definition Procedures

I appreciate your question.

You should quick smoking 8 weeks prior to surgery as it causes wound healing issues.    Regarding alcohol, discuss with your surgeon what he/she recommends.  Each surgeon has their own pre-op and post-op instruction sheets for their patients to follow.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz