What can be done about my upper lip? (photos)

I've been very self conscious of my upper lip when I smile. The middle part covers my teeth and I have no idea what I should do. I was thinking of a lip lift, but I'm young and I think the distance between my lip and nose is fine. Then I thought a lip reduction, but my lips look fine when my mouth is closed. I don't want it to look too thin. I don't know if fillers will do anything. Do I have any other options? What do you suggest? Thanks for any tips :)

Lip Augmentation

Thank you for your question. I suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon in-person to determine your best solution as lip augmentation can be performed with multiple lip augmentation techniques as well as in conjunction with different facial plastic surgery procedures. Best wishes,

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Difference LIp Contours

Yours is a prime example why I suggest a private consultation with a provider that is experienced in contouring lips. Surgical options are not often everyone's first choice for obvious reasons, as well as the fact that your face will continue to change with age and fat loss.  It is reasonable that enhancing other areas of the lip can help to lift the center that is your concern or a balance of the top and bottom lips might change your perception of the top lip fullness.

Ronald Moser, MD
San Juan Capistrano Physician

What can be done about my upper lip?

Hello, and thanks for your question and photos. I agree that your concern would likely better be addressed by surgery than by injection of filler. Please see an expert. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation with Fillers or Lip Implant or Fat -- Go Slow, Use Cannulas

I suggest seeing a cosmetic dermatologist for an evaluation.  Fillers, fat, implants can all be used to contour and shape the lips.  Surgery is an option by an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

Lip and correction

Before you have any kind of surgery I would consult with an orthodontist about your teeth.  I have had many patients who had this type of condition corrected by braces.  Please keep us posted.  Best, Dr. Green

Thank you for your question and photographs.  I would recommend a small lip excision procedure to remove the bit of middle upper lip tissue to help it "tuck" underneath.  No filler or lip lift surgery will mimic the results.  Hope this helps.

Decreasing Red Lip Show

The best way to increase the amount of upper teeth that are seen when you smile would be to do a conservative upper central lip reduction. From your photos, only a small amount would need to be removed. Another option might be to add filler to the philtrum (central upper lip region and cupid's bow) to advance your lip slightly upward by causing it to project more upward. This would slightly enlarge your central upper lip but could be done without any surgical manipulation. Good luck in your area.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper Lip

The only way to accomplish your goal of increasing your tooth show would be to perform a conservative mucosal resection as suggested by the other physicians.

Hanging lip border

Surgical excision of the hanging part of the upper lip would be the only way to correct this situation. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip excess

I agree with Dr Weiner below.... this small amount of mucosal excess can be conservatively excised with the scar hidden from view.... 

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon