I'm Unhappy with the Size of my Breast Would You Recommend I Fix This As Soon As Possible or Wait?

My surgery was August 5, 2013. My breast augmentation came out bigger than what i hd asked for. I'm scared that if I wait my breast tissue will stretch and when the smaller implant is placed, my skin might not look the same. My doctor wants me to wait 6 months to make sure this is not the size I wanted but I know its not what I want. Please let me know of what is the best thing for me to do.

Implant size change

Your breasts are still likely somewhat swollen and you should not expect to see a "final" result for 3-6 months post-operatively.  Therefore I advise waiting six months prior to undergoing a revision.

Implant size change

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Implant exchange

I recommend that you wait six months before undergoing revisional surgery.  Without photographs and additional information (height, weight), it is impossible to know whether your current size is appropriate or excessive. You may well still have some swelling and should give this an opportunity to resolve before making a decision.

Implant exchange

Breast Implant Revision Surgery

Thank you for your question. I generally request that patients wait at least 6 months before establishing that they are dissatisfied with the size of their implants. Every patient heals at a different rate and therefore swelling decreases at different rates as well. Some patients still experience an element of swelling 3 months post op. If the size is significantly larger than what you want (200-300 cc larger) than you could require a lift. There are a lot of different factors that come into play like age, skin elasticity and extent of stretching just to name a few. If you feel that you are being ill advised I suggest you seek out a second opinion with another board certified plastic surgeon who specialized in secondary breast surgery. I hope this helps you and good luck. Fadi Chahin MD, FACS, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Diplomat-American Board of Surgery, Diplomat-American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Fadi Chahin, MD, FACS

Breast Implant Revision Surgery

Fadi Chahin, MD, FACS

Breast Implant Exchange Revision

You are close to 2 months from surgery so most of your swelling should be down but many patients at this point will still have a moderate amount of upper pole breast fullness. This will usually go down over the next couple of months and patients who initially think they are too big will end up being happy.  I encourage my patients to be patient and wait until a stable shape is reached before deciding. Going down in size even 100-200 cc should not be much of a problem for your skin to tighten around but this is difficult to say exactly without seeing photos of where you are presently at. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Breast Implant Exchange Revision