What type of procedure would be necessary? (photos)

i had my last child in 2011 and lost 22 pounds in 2013. I've had 3 consults to have the wrinkled skin tighten or removed and they've all said I do not qualify for a tummy tuck because I don't have enough excess skin and told me there's nothing they could do. I'm pretty sure there's a way to fix this but I don't know where to look or start. Is this fixable and if so, what type of procedure would you recommend?

Tummy tuck or Abdominoplasty

Thank you for question. Looking at your photo shows that you can be a candidate for tummy tuck. Wrinkles around the belly button can be taken care by small incision in midline just below the belly button. Hernia can be fixed simultaneously. but final decision can only be made after physical examination.

Removing excess skin after weight loss and babies

Thank you for your question about a tummy tuck.

• Judging from your photo, you would be a good candidate for a tummy tuck.
  • And there isn't any other procedure that will fix this.
  • You clearly have a widened rectus muscle and significantly stretched skin.
  • Unless your exam is totally different from your photo, this would seem the procedure for you.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Tummy tuck

I believe a tummy tuck or abdominoplasty is your best option.  You may have an umbilical hernia as well that will need to be addressed at the same time.  

Wrinkled skin

Looking at your photos I think you would be a candidate for a tummy tuck.You might have a small vertical incision below you belly button but if you want to get rid of the loose skin then a tummy tuck with tightening of your muscles.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Only an abdominoplasty will help this postpartum abdomen.

In my opinion you really have only one surgical choice and that would be a full abdominoplasty. It will fix the abdominal wall connective tissue and remove excess skin and fat.

Choosing the correct procedure and determining who is a candidate

An abdominoplasty will give you a flat abdomen and tight skin.

For women who have substantial amounts of skin laxity, all the skin between the incision and the belly button can be removed.

In your case, you don't quite have enough skin laxity to remove that much skin. Because of this, the small opening in the skin from where your bellybutton uses it needs to be sewn together. This is the small vertical scar to which the other surgeons are referring.

In women with more skin laxity, this part of the skin is removed. 

With your skin complexion, I anticipate your scars would fade nicely over time and be minimally visible.

If done correctly, you should be able to obtain a dramatic change with a well-shaped, flat abdomen. 

Do not rely on any skin tightening procedure other than an abdominoplasty if you want to see dramatic results with a flat abdomen.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Liposuction Versus Tummy Tuck

Liposuction Versus Tummy TuckEnergy based liposuction like VASER, ThermiRF, SmartLipo do well for skin retraction and contouring of the body. If you have a lot of loose skin or stretch marks, surgery is best option with or without lipocontouring. I suggest you see a body sculpting physician for a formal consultation. Best, Dr. Emer.

Loose skin

Thanks for your question.  From the looks of your pictures, I think you would be a great candidate for a tummy tuck.  Seek a consult from a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  The hernia can be fixed at the same time.

Ramiro Morales, Jr., MD
Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon

A Full Skin only Tummy Tuck with muscle repair is your ONLY option in my opinion. ...................

What type of procedure would be necessary?

Without a physical exam- it's not totally possible to determine the amount of excess skin. It is surprising how much excess of skin can be present. As long as you are able to accept the incision length and position-- you appear to be a candidate for an abdominoplasty ( tummy tuck). Also, it appears you may have a small umbilical hernia which could be repaired at the same time.