Tummy Tuck on December 31st. infected & am seeing that I am not the only one. Any suggestions? (photos)

Do I have to keep it moist on Polysporin all the time? Would it heal faster if it dried? It's improved but It's almost three weeks & he said I would be back at work. How long do you think to heal. Keflex 500 3x a day, Polysporin. The black is getting smaller, I don't know, I'm scared, my son is getting married & he won't take the staples out till next week. Does that matter?

Tummy tuck healing

Thank you for the question and the photos.  I am sorry to hear about your tummy tuck recovery process.  The biggest question to all healing is if the tissue is struggling or completely dead.  Struggling tissue can be helped to heal by assessing what it needs and providing that through dressing changes, medications, and sometimes through surgical intervention.  Its this assessment that is most important and one that can only be done in person.  Your plastic surgeon should be seeing you regularly for follow up and discussing what he/she is seeing as well as what the next step of the process is.

Dr. Remus Repta

Tummy Tuck Healing

Thank you for your question and photos. I am sorry to hear you are having issues healing post-op. It is best to have very close follow up with your plastic surgeon. In general, wounds will heal faster in a moist environment so keeping it covered with polysporin is a good idea. If you are "not the only one" with healing issues from this surgeon, I suggest a second opinion with a board certified plastic surgeon. Hope this helps and good luck to you.

Tummy tuck infection

You'll need to follow up frequently with your plastic surgeon.  It should heal up over time, but it may take several months.

Tummy Tuck on December 31st. infected & am seeing that I am not the only one. Any suggestions?

Follow up is essential to your rapid healing of this complication. What did you mean 'others'>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Crust post tt

I think since you are 3 weeks out the idea is to get the area where you have the crust to heal.Keeping it clean and putting the ointment on it is ok.sometimes if one puts too much on you can get a dermatitis.I think you can safelyget your staples out.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck on December 31st., Any suggestions? #tt #tummutuck #healling

Infection is the the most common risk of any surgical procedure, including a tummy tuck.

If infection and skin breakdown of a surgical wound happens, patients should adhere to the healing protocol recommended by her plastic surgeon. 

Healing process of an infected wound will have its normal course when patients already placed on antibiotics. 

Patients with complications after a tummy tuck must continue to have a close communication and follow up with their plastic surgeons. 

John Mesa, MD

Healing issues over the lower abdomen

It looks like you are having some superficial skin compromise over the lower aspect of your abdomen. This can be treated with topical nitropaste and even hyperbaric oxygen in the early period; as long as your incision line is not compromised and does not dehisce, you should not require any surgical intervention. You also need aggressive dressing management in order to optimize her healing and to prevent scarring. Staples? Are you sure you went to a board certified plastic surgeon?

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Healing problems

I am sorry you are going through this difficult time but it looks like your wound is healing.  Your PS is the one who is treating you and can see the wound first hand and it is best to continue following his advice.  Make sure you are eating enough protein as that helps with wound healing.

Anh Lee, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Likely Tissue Ischemia

It is difficult to determine from the photo the true nature of the discoloration on the central part of your abdominoplasty incision.  Given that this has been three weeks, the possible causes include tissue ischemia and bruising from an old hematoma.  It does not appear to be infected. Tissue ischemia is a condition in which the blood supply to the tissue is insufficient, causing a shortage of oxygen to the tissue.  If it is tissue ischemia, the tissue will eventually slough off and depending on the size of the wound, most will heal from the inside out over time. The central portion of the wound is the most commonly affected area in an abdominoplasty.  If this is discoloration from an old hematoma, it will resolve over time.  Regarding caring for it, your surgeon might recommend silvadene, which is an antibiotic ointment.  You should follow up with your surgeon and have this examined in person.

Hoang M. Lawrence Nguyen, MD
Sioux Falls Plastic Surgeon