Tummy tuck and breast implants with or without a lift? (Photo)

I went for a consultation and was told I only need a partial tummy tuck. Meaning I would only be cut in the middle and I did not have to get cut long . In looking at the pic is that true? And do I need a lift or just implants ?

Breast Lift or Implants with Mommy Makeover

The intentional result of a Breast Lift (#Mastopexy) is to improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. It is used especially for breasts which sag or droop (#ptosis). However, many women report more satisfaction if an implant is used at the time of #mastopexy. The implants further shape their breasts, restoring superior fullness or volume which may be decreased over time.
In regards to implants alone, this is usually said to be mistake by patients reflecting back at the decision. Most breasts will look larger and more droopy with solely implants. They will sag more and sooner, due to the sudden and excess weight. At times it's possible for a “Snoopy” breast or double bubble to develop as a result.
Additionally, an implant with lift may be useful to re-position the nipples which may have been affected by ptosis or drooping.
Your Plastic Surgeon will measure you to determine the best shape and size of the implants to be used. Shaped implants are all textured and should not rotate when used properly. In my practice, about 20% of the patients benefit from shaped implants.

Mini-tuck? Regular tummy tuck? Breast lift?

Thank you for your question about your mommy make-over

• Photos can be misleading but your breasts are far below your breast crease.
  • you will need a lift - a small implant can be placed at the same time if desired.
  • You have stretch marks well above your navel and widened muscle almost to your ribs.
  • You need in my opinion a full tummy tuck to get a good result.
  • May I suggest that you get a second opinion before having surgery?
  • Are you sure your surgeon is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon? A short scar tummy tuck seems an unusual assessment for the changes  in the photo.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes

Partial vs full tummy tuck.

It is hard to interpret your surgeon's suggestion that you only need a partial tummy tuck.  This might mean just a mini tummy tuck involving only the lower abdomen, or a full tummy tuck with a shorter scar.  Based on the photos it would appear that you have loose skin on the entire abdomen, and for patients with this appearance I usually do a full tummy tuck.   I usually recommend a breast lift plus implants if the nipples are low on the breasts.  If you have concerns about your first surgeon's recommendations it would be worthwhile getting another opinion.

Tummy Tuck Extent of Incision

Without an examination it would be hard to give you the best opinion. I can tell you that the most critical decision to be made in achieving the best plastic surgical result for a mommy makeover is picking the most experienced and talented, that is the best, plastic surgeon possible. Too often, patients choose a physician based on a catchy ad, the brand name of a technique, the basis of one or two before and after photos, or their web site’s search engine ranking. These criteria will not find the most experienced and talented plastic surgeon. See the below link on suggestions on how to pick the best plastic surgeon for your procedure:

Tummy tuck and breast implants with or without a lift?

A mini tummy tuck will not address the skin above the belly button, so it comes down to what your goals are. A breast lift with augmentation would give you the best result. Again, what procedures you chose to do are dependent on your goals and expectations. A breast augmentation alone will only improve the volume of the breast but will not improve on the shape. Make sure you and your chosen surgeon are on the same page. Best of luck. Dean Vistnes. 

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

From your photo, I believe you will need a breast lift along with the augmentation.  Without the lift, I don't believe you will be happy with the result.  Also, I would suggest a full tummy tuck over the mini tummy tuck.  The incision will not be that much longer and the result above the belly button will be significantly better.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Significant ptosis cannot be camouflaged by breast implants as part of a mommy makeover.

In my opinion I don't think you can get a good result with a breast augmentation only. I think a mastopexy should be part of a mommy makeover.

Less surgery gives less result

Hi.  Based on the amount of laxity I see in your photos, you would get a significantly better result with a full tummy tuck and a breast lift.  If you desire more breast fullness, an implant can be added.

A mini tummy tuck will leave the area around the umbilicus and the upper abdomen uncorrected.

Tummy tuck and implants with or without a lift.

A mini tummy tuck will not provide any improvement above the umbilicus. The photographs would suggest that you have some loose skin above the umbilicus and would benefit with a full tummy tuck. It appears that you have enough ptosis (sag) of your breasts to require a breast lift. If you want some additional fullness in addition to the left an implant would be required.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and lift aka mommy makeover

Based on your photo, it looks like you could benefit from a full tummy tuck and a breast lift.  Adding implants would depend on what final size you are seeking.  It's best to judge both of these things in person, though, as pictures only tell a part of the story, and one picture only makes it even more limited.

Seek a plastic surgeon certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery for best options.

Roxanne Sylora, MD