Truth about implant replacement?

I want to get breast augmentation so bad, but I am concerned if I need to replace the implant after 10-15 years since the rupture rate is really high after long period of time. I'm 21 right after 10 years I will be 31 God knows what i will be doing then Just thinking about getting implant replaced is really pain in the neck.. Am I still be able to get it done with the same Doctor? Am I gonna replace them several times in my life? every10-15years? Should I be worried about this? :(

Truth about implant replacement? How long do they last before rupturing?

Providing you get cohesive silicone gel implants, in my opinion, your implants should last for decades. Saline implants on the other hand, do occasionally rupture and go flat. I have never seen a rupture of the newer gel implants, and I have a fairly large breast implant practice. In fact, I have patients that I augmented with gel implants 20 and 30 years ago in whom the implants are still intact. The most common reason for implant change is encapsulation or a desire to change the size. I say if you really want them, go for it, and choose an experienced surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Thank you for your interesting question.

BA & implant replacement

Thank you for your questions, I wish you well with your decision. Am I still be able to get it done with the same Doctor?--maybe, maybe not. But His/her practice may have new partners or highly qualified associates to refer you to. Am I gonna replace them several times in my life?--maybe, but unlikely. every10-15years? Maybe, but unlikely. Should I be worried about this?--No.  Breast implants rupture at about a 1% rate per year, and once you have breast implants and are sailing smooth, you should not have your implants removed unless you are having some problem and/or issues. Implants may last longer than 10-15 years. Be sure to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for your follow up, as it may not be your original surgeon, it should be someone experienced and one you trust and have ample access to. Sincerely,Benjamin J. Cousins MD

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Truth about implant replacement

If there is nothing wrong wit the implant you can go longer than ten years before an exchange. That is not need all the time.

Julio Garcia, MD

Truth about implant replacement?

Do not get caught up on these numbers, because they simply just are not true or practical. There is no such thing as a high rupture rate and now days, implants are lasting 20+ years without any cause of concern. Being 21, you will need a replacement at some point in your life, but there is no reason to assume that this would need to be done every 10 years. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Need to replace breast implants over time?

Thanks for that good question.  In my three decades of experience I have found that silicone gel implants last on average between 20-25 years with occasional exceptions (this excludes patients who need surgery for encapsulation, displacement, size change, etc.).  The current cohesive gel implants are likely (but not certain) to last longer in my opinion.  I feel that it's a myth that implants will need replacement every ten years due to aging.I hope that this helps you in your decision.

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Truth about implant placement

Thank you for sharing your question.  Current implants are so well manufactured that unless you have a reason to exchange your implants (contracture, rupture, desire a different appearance) there is no need to replace them every 10-15 years.  Hope this helps.

About 10-20% chance of surgery in 10 years

There are three reasons you may need to have another surgery over 10 years and the chances are about 10-20%
Problems with the implant (capsule & rupture)
Problems with the placement (doctor didn't do it right)
Problems with the size, shape (life happens and you want to have something fixed). Find a young surgeon who does great work and who you feel good about and you'll be golden for a long time. 

Exchanging implants

Thank you for your very common question regarding the need to change breast implants every 10 years.  Many patients have this same question because this falsehood is propagated by a misinformed public and some dishonest surgeons.  Your implants only need to be replaced if you experience some type of problem with them.  Problems can include implant rupture/leak, capsular contracture, pain, or the simple desire to have them removed or increased/decreased in size.   That being said, you should plan on having your implants replaced at some point in your life based on your age and the rupture rate of approximately 1% per year.  Consult with one or more board certified plastic surgeons to discuss your options for breast augmentation.  You might want to wait until the age of 22 for the procedure in order to have the option of choosing silicone gel implants.  Hope this helps!

Truth about implant replacement?

You do not need to replace UNLESS there is a problem.... You need in person explanation of this replacement issue from a boarded surgeon.

Relax.

Thanks for your question. My colleagues have responded well. There is NO EXPIRATION DATE on breast implants and your implants are warrantied for life, even if they don't last a lifetime. In ten years, perhaps having one or more children, many things can happen to your breasts and body that may lead you to seek the advice of a plastic surgeon. No patient should ever plan on replacing her implants until and unless there is a problem that warrants such a decision.
Breast augmentation is a quality of life decision that is made when you feel your quality of life would be improved by having a larger breast size. There is a possibility  that you will die of old age with your original implants, but it is also possible that at some point you will need them removed or replaced.Nothing in life is free of all risk. In fact your greatest statistical risk of serious injury or even death is taken every day of your life when you get into your car and drive to work or to the store. Patient satisfaction from breast augmentation overall is around 95-98% and there are few operations that can claim those kinds of statistics.Make sure you seek the advice of an experienced board certified plastic surgeon, and if you are hesitant, take your time and consider a second opinion. Don't rush into your decision. Maybe you will feel differently at 22 or 23. Best of luck to you.

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon