I've been told I have fibrocystic breasts. Is it still possible to get implants?

A very good question. Fibrocystic breasts do not preclude you from having an augmentation. I would suggest going behind the muscle for several reasons. In your case, it would keep the implant further away from the breast tissue that may need a future aspiration or biopsy. Good luck!

Implants in fibrocystic breasts

Having fibrocystic breasts should not cause a problem in getting implants, nor any increased complications related to the breasts.  Your age is not specified, but you may want to consider making sure you have had a recent mammogram prior to augmentation.  

It is great that you are concerned about your health.  For the best education, you should seek a plastic surgeon certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery for your consultation.  You can share your concerns and expected outcomes.

Roxanne Sylora, MD

I have fibrocystic breasts. Is it still possible to get implants?

Hi, Gsalickram.  Fibrocystic breasts are very common, and it is possible to get breast implants.  I recommend mammogram testing, often along with ultrasound,  to my patients with fibrocystic changes, and to complete evaluation of any suspicious, changed, or new lesions prior to surgery.  Also, as always is the case, monthly self-examination is very important, along with annual mammograms (depending on age and/or family history).

Self breast exam is often easier following breast augmentation, as the breast tissue thins some, as well as being more asessable  by being spread out and pushed forward.  Mammograms may be more difficult to obtain, and sub-muscular/dual-plane implant placement will facilitate optimal post-augmentation mammography technique.  Additional mammogram views are also needed with implants.

If you have required, or likely will require, frequent biopsies, you will have to give extra consideration as to whether you desire saline or silicone gel implants.  No unique issues are presented with either of the two implant fill types if an open biopsy is performed,  However, there are unique risks if a needle biopsy is performed.  With saline implants, accidental puncture from a needle would result in immediate/near-immediate deflation, necessitating surgical intervention to correct the resulting obvious asymmetry.  With silicone gel implants, an accidental puncture from a needle may go undetected for a period of time.  With the new silicone gel, particularly the highly-cohesive gel, an accidental needle puncture may or may not be of consequence, or may be of no consequence for some time.  However, a break in the integrity of the implant shell could result in further breakage and/or silicone gel fracture or leakage.  An MRI would be required to evaluate a silicone implant.

Seeing a well-trained, experienced plastic surgeon will be best able to determine whether you are a good candidate for surgery.  Good luck and hope you have fantastic results if you do decide to have surgery!

Giovanna Ghafoori, MD
Harlingen Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  Fibrocystic breasts are quite common in the general population and do not prevent you from being able to have a breast augmentation with implants.  Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation, they can provide you with the best implant recommendation.

Fibrocystic breasts

Hello, having fibrocystic breasts is not necessarily a contraindication for breast implant surgery.  I would recommend consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who can do a full assessment, then advise you whether surgery would be appropriate in your case.

Find the right surgeon

Far more important than the technique is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let them explain why one technique may be better than another.
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for breast implants.

Any women desiring breast augmentation surgery in Newport Beach is a candidate as long as there are no health problems present which would preclude her from having surgery. If the desired goal is to enhance or restore size and shape or to improve asymmetry, breast augmentation is a viable option. Breast augmentation can improve a body image, self-esteem, self-concept, and quality of life.
Ideal Candidates for Breast Augmentation in Newport Beach
  • Desire larger, shapelier breasts.
  • Moderate degree of breast sag and smaller breasts, whose problem can be solved by enlargement.
  • One breast that is noticeably smaller or is positioned differently than the other (asymmetry).
  • Uneven chest wall or rib cage.
  • Women requiring breast reconstruction following a mastectomy.
  • Restore breast volume or shape following pregnancy, breast feeding and/or weight loss.

Fibrocystic breasts and impalnts

Yes you can.I would venture to sya the vast majority of women over 40 have some degree of fibrocystic disease.So this does not prevent you from getting impalnts.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Fibrocystic breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. Fortunately Fibrocystic findings in the breast tissue is not a disease and is fairly common. Breast augmentation should be very possible if there are no other problems with your breasts. See a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns and to have a thorough examination. I hope all goes well for you. 
Bedt wishes,
Dr. Marcus Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Fibrocystic breasts generally do not affect your ability to undergo breast augmentation surgery. My best advice: select your plastic surgeon carefully (make sure that he/she is a board-certified plastic surgeon can demonstrate lots of examples achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with) and communicate your goals carefully as well. Best wishes.

Breast Augmentation with Fibrocystic breast

You should be able to have a breast augmentation with fibrocystic breast if you are cleared by your surgeon to do so. If needed mammogram or/and ultrasound maybe required. A partial sub muscular placement is preferred for future mammograms.

Good Luck!