What is the Best Scar Treatment out There?

Does your skin tone make a difference? When are we usually given permission yo start treatment

Plato's Scar Serum for surgical scars

For surgical scars, I would recommend a combination of Plato's Scar Serum and Plato's Dark Scar Corrector to help reduce scarring. Fractional laser and vbeam laser can also help. 

Dr. Karamanoukian
Los Angeles

Plato's Scar Serum for surgical scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dr. Karamanoukian
Los Angeles

Scar treatments

I am a fan of the silicone based scar creams, and there are a number of brands, like BioCorneum, or ProSil.  Experience & evidence shows that these are helpful, more so than Mederma or topical vitamin E.  I have my patients start using these about 2-3 weeks post-op.  Of course, check with your surgeon first.

Scar treatments

The best scar treatment is to leave the scar alone.

Scar creams don't work. Sometimes silicone sheeting will provide a protective barrier so the clothing does not rub on the scar. Do not massage the scar. Leave the scar alone.

Scar Treatment

My patients love Bio Corneum. We sell out of it regularly and I've had patients with scars as a few years old, say it works! Best of luck. 

Scar Treatment

Which is the best scar treatment

Hello and thank you for your question.

There are many scar treatments available. I'm not sure if you are referring to topical treatments or other treatments. Based on the characteristics of your scar- raised, widened, pigmented, red/purple in color, etc. a plastic surgeon can recommend to you what treatment is best for you.

Good luck to you

David L. Cangello, MD, FACS

Which is the best scar treatment

Hello and thank you for your question.

Good luck to you

David L. Cangello, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question. From the feedback that I receive from patients there are various products on the market that can help improve the quality of your scar. One product is called Scar Guard. Some plastic surgery offices carry this product directly, but it can also be found over the counter at any drug store. This company offers two different products: Scar Guard, which is applied to the scar following surgery, and Scar Guard Lightener, which is used on older hyperpigmented scars. Another product is called Kelo-Cote which can be purchased online. From reviews and patient testimonials I have gathered this product works well at minimizing scarring. My advise would be to check with your plastic surgeon prior to initiating any scar treatment. I hope this helps you and good luck. Fadi Chahin MD, FACS, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Diplomat-American Board of Surgery, Diplomat-American Board of Plastic Surgery

Fadi Chahin, MD, FACS

Fadi Chahin, MD, FACS

There are no decent studies that would be required to provide an answer. Most surgeons prefer a silicone based product, and there are a number of them available. Your surgeon will be the best guide as to when to start, since he or she will be monitoring your recovery. The majority of patients heal well without needing any product.

All the best. 

All the best.