How many surgeries do I need to remove lipedema? Would I have a good cosmetic outcome? (Photo)

My understanding is that lipedema patients should have water assisted or aqua lipo. Do I need a surgeon who has experience with lipedema? How many surgeries would I need and would I have a good cosmetic outcome, or would I need skin removal as well? I think I have it in my arms too. I am in my 50's and have a lot of pain in my legs. I really do exercise quite a bit and follow a healthy diet. I weigh 135 lbs.

Lipedema Treatment and Liposuction

I treat a significant number of lipedema patients and often this requires 3-4 surgeries in patients with your stage. I suggest a formal in person or skype consultation to discuss your symptoms, treatment plan, and options for treatment.  I suggest also seeing Dr. Herbst prior to your liposuction consultation or after to ensure a medical treatment is also being done to get the ultimate outcome prior to surgery. Best, Dr. Emer.

Planning liposuction

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• It is wonderful that you exercise and keep fit.
  • I believe I answered part of your question before about lipidema.
  • But I am concerned that you are considering any kind of liposuction for leg pain.
  • Your tummy photo suggests you have had children.
  • Leg pain after child bearing is usually from damage to the deep leg veins.
  • Please go to a vascular surgeon for evaluation of your deep veins and your leg pain.
  • Treatment of damaged leg veins relieves the pain. 
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes