Stitches left after breast lift. (photos)

I had breast lift overseas on 07/27/16. I think Doctor left 1 stitch ( black) that I tried to take out my self,but half of it is deep under skin. Another 1 around areola that I think is infected. Can another dr see me and take over,and how much cost visit and stitch removal

I would ask your PS what stitches have been used and what his/her advice would be. I would not try and remove this yourself. It may be dissolvable in which case you should leave it to dissolve. It may also be a permanent suture that needs to stay in - contact your PS and ask what stitched have been used.

Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Stitches after Breast Lift

The patient will go home in a bra or with only light dressings over the incision lines. Sutures are dissolvable but an ending knot, if present is removed within 1-2 weeks. Initial discomfort is easily controlled with oral medication. Light activities may be started in 7-10 days.Now, since it appears your time has exceeded this initial healing period you may have to have the area evaluated to make sure whether the stitches that remain are going to dissolve or if they need to be removed. As it is not good to leave them in for too long, you may want to seek the advice and help of a local plastic surgeon to make sure the healing process is moving along well. Costs and procedures will depend on several factors: the geographic location, the skill and experience of the surgeon, and operating room and anesthesia fees.  Approximate costs can be found on the Real Self website,, or; and on these sites you can also look up surgeons close to you who are available for breast lift appointments and possible modification. Best of luck to you! 

Thank you for your question.  It's always best that you return to the one who puts the sutures in to get them removed as they know best what exactly went on in surgery.  It's not absolutely necessary, just best.  Good luck.

Virgil Willard, MD
High Point Plastic Surgeon

Stitches from surgery

Thank you for your question. I think it is better to be seen by local plastic surgeon for evaluation. Look like a spitting of sutures. Or you can contact your surgeon for advise to refer you to local physician.

It appears you do have some areas with suture ends.  Visit with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.  The cost will vary and you may find it challenging to find a doctor to take over your care.  You may want to contact your original surgeon to see if he/she has any colleagues in your area.

Camille Cash, MD

Breast lift issue

Yes, I think it would be a good idea if you saw a local plastic surgeon to be properly evaluated.  The fee will vary from surgeon to surgeon.

Spitting sutures

From your photographs, it appears that you have several areas what we would call spitting sutures. If a permanent, black colored, suture is still there that would certainly need to be removed. Some basic wound care and removal of the remnants of the dissolvable sutures would help the incision heal more quickly. Not being in Orlando, I have no idea which plastic surgeon and at what cost this could be done. I would start with the American Board of plastic surgery listings of board-certified plastic surgeons in your area. Hope this is helpful.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS